1917 model T roadster serial number 1 from winnipeg wagon works

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1917 model T roadster serial number 1 from winnipeg wagon works
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By darrell remillard on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

Hello,
Does anyone have any info about winnipeg wagon works? I have what appears to be a 1917 model t that was built by winnipeg wagon works. there is no identification on the engine except made in canada. I am hoping someone can shed some light on this mystery and maybe confirm that I have a one of a kind million dollar car that I can now retire and finish my 32 to cruize until they only allow electric vehicles on the road.....see pictures, thanks

1917 model t roadsterinterior

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Hi Darrell, welcome to the forum. While I'm not able to shed light on Winnipeg Wagon Works you have one nifty express pick up. Best of luck with your search for information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By darrell remillard on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Thanks Gary.
I have been seaching for info on the origins and story to the history of this car/truck and have returned with nothing. I am hoping that the experienced model T guys and gals on here can help out with some info or where I could ask or search for. It is a fun car to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 12:25 am:

No expert for certain here.
Very smart rig!
Just for my own fun Darrell.
19+ under axle radius rods
21-25 front engine mount
Single "incorporated" rivet hood handle 20-23?
15-22? coil box with COOL anti-theft keyed switch
17+ oil lamps
17-22,23? radiator shell
How'd I do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 01:01 am:

In 1912, Ford produced a fair number of delivery cars/vans. In 1924 and '25 through the end of model T production, Ford rolled out various open truck styles in both car and ton truck chassis. All other commercial vehicle bodies in all the other years WERE NOT made by Ford. There were many hundreds of companies, large and small, throughout USA and Canada that built bodies for whatever commercial need a customer desired. Some are well known, many are not.
Yours would be considered a "light delivery" or "open express" body. It was a fairly common type, offered by hundreds of local, regional, and major builders of such bodies. There are several companies that have built similar bodies after World War II and some still up till today for restoration purposes.
If you cannot find much information about the builder? It likely was a small builder, and of little consequence. That does not mean it is not desirable. Little trucks like this are very acceptable within the hobby, whether they are original era bodies, or newer reproduction ones. They are welcomed for most club activities, and very much enjoyed by their owners and other participants alike. It looks like a very nicely built little truck, and should be used and enjoyed for many years to come.
Model T Fords are a lot of fun! And wonderful connections to our history.

There is a website, coachbuilt.com I think? My computer is suffering from a cold, and I have lost my bookmarks. Try googling it. They have a little information about a lot of obscure small body builders. I don't know if they have much on Canadian builders or not. Maybe you get lucky.
But I hope you didn't pay a huge amount of money hoping for a tremendous payday. Most likely? You got a nice little truck there. One of about a thousand similar trucks still in the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By darrell remillard on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 10:43 am:

I labeled it as a 1917 roadster because thats how its been registered for as far back as I have info, 70's. the insurance and registration have the vin as 1-4888, I will post a picture of the body plate. What year it really is....., theres ribbed pedals but no robinson screws, theres a fair amount of brass....engine has no numbers. does have electric start. I suspose theres alot of these mystery model t's out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By darrell remillard on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

Yes it is really up to finding the history of Winnipeg wagon works. I have come up dry, and sounds like no one else has heard of them, so far

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

Welcome to the forum!
black balloon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

Hello In 1915 Ford opened an assembly plant in Winnipeg at Erin and Portage. I was told that the Winnipeg wagon works was across the street. The Ford plant building is still there,the wagon works is gone. Our club bus was also built at the wagon work.Your chassis would have been assembled by Ford and then sent across the street for the body. The club bus was bought from a dealer, and the dealer had the body made and then sold it to there customer .It does not have a wagon works tag. Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By darrell remillard on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Hey thanks colin.
Have you ever seen a winnipeg wagon works tag on anything. I see you are from winnipeg. Do you know any one that would know about the wagon works?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

very nice. no motor number above the water outlet on the side of the motor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By darrell remillard on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

Made in canada on the side
A large 3 cast on upper side
And a small 2 on other side
Nothing on the front

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 08:31 am:

Darrell I will have to check around and see what I can come up with, Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By darrell remillard on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

I found the numbers on the engine. C642882
It's out on the Farm and just visited it again
Also found out why the registration is 1-4888

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration