Old Photo - Model T Era - Drive In Church Service

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era - Drive In Church Service
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 08:22 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 08:50 am:

Portable seating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 11:47 am:

And I thought the "drive in church" was a product of the 60's when drive in theaters were popular!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Looks like what mom was talking about when she said as a Child they had "Circuit" preachers, this week you were catholic next week you could be Jewish or baptist Just depended who showed up but her father insisted they go to all of them "We'll find some way to get some good in you!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

An interesting photo. The T at center has a different option tail light than what we usually see. Is that an Overland radiator on the lower left car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Manoff on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

Did anyone notice in the first photo, the fellow seated in the rear seat with his hat tipped forward. Probably sound asleep!!
Todd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

We did what Mr. Cheshire said, we had the Circuit Rider Preachers, and how I hated it when they would stay with us, they always ate "First Table" and didn't leave much for us. We had a small Church that My Great Grandparents and Grandfather donated the land for, it's still in use every Sunday. We had Baptist Services one weekend and Methodist the next, went to both and couldn't tell the difference. This gathering of cars reminded me of the "Brush Arbor" Churches we had, the T's and wagons would be all parked in front, some folks stayed in the car or up on the wagon and listened. My first ready roll cigarette was smoked down the hill from that old Brush Arbor Church.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

Looks like a driver's meeting at the beginning of an HCCA tour.
Great old photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Seems the mens hats would be removed if it were a church service.If it was, Im sure more than one prayer went up that the car made it home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Dallas, I've heard of the pastor inviting men to put their hats back on in some instances during ceremonies, typically near the beginning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 09:28 am:

Dallas...your "prayer statement" brought back a rather cute experience way back when I captained a fairly large (117') excursion boat up here on Lake Erie. We had an evening private charter, me and the boat owner, both of us are "ordained ministers" so as to perform weddings, was asked by the charter organizer "have we ever had prayer services on the boat"...the owner quickly quipped "Yeh, we pray that we make it back!" The look on that guy's face was priceless!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

The T at center in the top photo appears to be a 1910 with a Prest-O-Lite tank. Richard pointed out the tail light. Is that a Solar lamp?

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration