Holley NH rebuilding and parts needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Holley NH rebuilding and parts needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

While the oil pan on my T is being flushed and de gunked and such, I would like to rebuild my Holley NH.

What parts exactly are needed? Just a gasket set?

And I understand I am supposed to just clean everything once all apart and clean those hidden passages. What is the exact thing you all do to fill those holes in?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

There is a MTFCA book for such but I had a lot of parts that were rusted beyond reuse when I rebuilt my Holley NH earlier this year. "Exactly" changes for every carburetor situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

Go to Google and type mtfca: nh carburetor rebuild and variations on that theme. You'll find hours of reading by Stan Howe and others with lots of great suggestions.

One idea you may come across is drilling out the brass plugs (carefully so you don't remove any of the carb body), cleaning out the passages with a piece of brass-wound guitar string, and using an 8-32 bottoming tap in the holes so you can plug them with set screws for future cleanings.

As Vern says, each situation is different. You'll need to examine all the parts to see what may need to be replaced. So far they're all available from the parts dealers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fords Masterpiece . nj on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

I just used the Russ Potter
system . lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

Haha Fords... Ive thought of that. How much does he normally charge?

Steve and Vern, thank you for your suggestions. Vern, mine has a lot of borne rust gunk, but no holes in the bowl either, and everything seems to be in nice shape underneath the crust, however, I don't know what it should really look like! Im looking at photos now and I think its fine... Ill post photos once its all cleaned up..

Steve, thanks for the tip. Now from what I've understood, drilling out the plugs is the only way to clean it. Is there another way? I have a small ultrasonic cleaner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

I use the Russ Potter method also but there is one major problem...what you get back looks like jewelry and much too nice to put on a car. After you run something perfect and it gets a little dirty you will get over that.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 06:22 pm:

Tim, how much does Russ usually charge if you don't mind me asking?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

John,

That is between you and Russ as I have nothing to do with his business. His contact is carbking@soltec.net or 217-759-7592. I would not post this except that he runs an ad in the Vintage Ford so it is public.

Russ donates rebuilt carburetors each year to young people who are getting started if they meet his profile and that will tell you what kind of guy he is.

I listen to a radio car broadcast most weekends and they say "mechanics are not expensive, they are priceless". Sometimes it is better to pay an expert rather than go through a difficult learning curve and break things or strip threads. There is a seat in that NH that if you put a screwdriver on it and twist it will break off...yes there is a way to heat it and cool then remove if you have a torch and know how. There are at least 3 choice of needle and seat that you can experiment with with to find the one that will work for you, the grosse jet, the viton and the brass. Russ knows what to do.

I worked on a Model T powered airplane once that the owner did a carb. rebuild on. He took off and got to the point of go or no-go and the plane fell out of the sky taking off the wings in trees. He was not satisfied with his choice of needle and seat.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

Seems like he would be the perfect choice for this then, Tim, thank you so much for the great post! Ill contact him right away!

Id love to hear more about that airplane though... Is there a post on here about it? Do you have any photos? That sounds very interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

If you decide to do the re-build yourself, here is an article written for the Tennessee T's club website, written by Gary Tillstrom, on rebuilding the Holley NH. Gary not only knows how to repair a Model T Ford, but he's pretty good at keeping a jet airplane in service.

https://tennesseets.weebly.com/tech-page-2.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fords Masterpiece . nj on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

John call Russ, but is about 125 bucks or so but like Timm said and i told Russ over the phone : Russ i got the carb but you ruined my model t ! Russ said : why ?
i said : the carb look so good that my wife wants to keep in the living room with all the antiques

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Hahaha you guys are funny! I've got a solution... two NHs!!

Thanks for getting me his rate. I think that's very reasonable for someone who knows exactly what they are doing to go over it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

John,If you do decide to do the rebuild yourself be sure to examine the choke and throttle shafts for wear. Also check how well the butterfly plates fit in the bore. The NH is a very simple carburetor and when everything is as it should be, they work wonderfully.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration