Aluminum head advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Aluminum head advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 06:31 pm:

I have a chance to buy an old NOS Reeder aluminum low head with the Ford script and "made in USA". Do you guys have any idea of a fair price and any comments as to the reliability and performance change with one of these heads? I'm thinking of putting it on an engine I'm building for my '25. Thanks in advance :Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 06:09 am:

Bruce, unless the price makes the deal a bargain, I offer the following opinion, for what it's worth.

Both the Prus and Z heads in the "high" format are correct for your car, and offer excellent performance. I have both, and have had good results with them.

I have a Reeder on my 1912 van. The "low" format is correct for this car. However, two friends in New Zealand had the same problem as I did with the Reeder head. There is a large water gallery between cylinders 2 and 3 on the head, but only a steam hole in the block. The heads are prone to warping at that point if they get too hot. If the gallery is welded up, the head resurfaced and a corresponding steam hole drilled, the problem goes away.

Given I can get an alloy head ready to go, which looks correct for a 24 model, I would not bother with a head which is made for earlier cars.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 10:35 am:

I have a high Reeder head on my speedster. Totally happy with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Jerry, Did you have a warping situation like Allan described above?

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

I ran Reeder heads on two T's for years; they were great heads, no warping.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration