Driven gear question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Driven gear question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

I took apart a spare transmission I have had for years to access a reverse drum needed for a rebuild and had a heck of a time removing the driven gear. I have done this many times before and know that getting the driven gear off can be a tough job but this time I had to repeatedly heat the driven gear red hot in order to get it off. My question is should I toss the driven gear after all that heating or is it still usable. The gear is otherwise in good shape so I would not want to discard it if it can safely be used again after all that heating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

I use it
If it fits tights
These can be a real booger to get off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 09:45 am:

It really helps to use and original Ford driven gear puller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 09:54 am:

I had one that was really stuck, even after soaking for weeks in ATF. It bent the Ford puller and I ended up making my own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 10:43 am:

I have rebuilt several transmissions in which the owner tells me it has been rebuilt previously. In a couple of instances the driven gear teeth were badly damaged. I suspect, but never proved, that heating the driven gear on the first rebuilt, caused loss of hardness in the gear which then wore out.
I think that once heated, the driven gear should be replaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 11:00 am:

After using a 12 ton press to remove driven gears the issue became easy with no heat. I did have to use a longer handle on the press pump. Pictures were posted some years past on the method.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 11:53 am:

I use this Home Made puller with great success.
0163M
0164M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

I am no metallurgist but my concern was that the heat would harden the gear teeth to the point where they became brittle. I may be way off base on this but while I hate to waste a original Ford part I'd hate pulling an engine to replace the driven gear more! I guess it goes in the scrap pile!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

I think it's too soft after being heated red hot - you can probably reharden it, so don't throw it away - maybe it can be of use if it isn't worn out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

Ford Driven gears were hardened to about 40 Rc. When you heated it red, you most likely drew all of that back to dead soft. The tempering temperature to achieve this hardness is around 750 deg F. If your gear was red, you were way above that. Throw the gear away.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration