Interesting YouTube video of thread repair products being tested to failure

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Interesting YouTube video of thread repair products being tested to failure
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Ran across this and thought that some folks might find interesting: Different thread repair inserts tested in 6061 aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDduCVUy6w

Aluminum is not Cast Iron, but the testing methodology was pretty good.

I was not surprised at the results (consistent with my experience) and personally will continue to use the product that I have used in the past with great success (no failures)

Your mileage may vary...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Scott very informative . Thanks for posting. Cheers pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

Pete

you're most welcome. I'm glad you found it informative...I did, too.

scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Good stuff Scott, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

The first part showing the inserts being pulled, got that. The 2ed part lost me and stopped watching at the helicoil. Not knowing how the device works that was shown in first part of that segment and not being able to see the whole thing, didn't have a clue what and how done. Other then that informative info.
Thanks Scott.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

Oh I can add, I replicated part of the test, pulling threads on the 6061 that I am using on the adapter plate. While unofficial, the threads started getting soft about 65-70 ft pounds with a 7/16 coarse threaded bolt. I think the tap was rated for about 75% thread but would need to check more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

Mark

the % thread would be related to the drill size, not the tap. An awful lot of folks just use whatever guide they have (usually what comes with the drill set or tap), but for different materials, different % threads are desirable, as often an increase in % thread vs. higher tap breakage is a losing proposition and very little extra strength is gained by increasing % thread depth. For aluminum, you're right on at 75% thread. For tougher materials you can drop the % thread and lose very little strength while preserving your tools.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration