1927 Low Gear Problems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1927 Low Gear Problems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

On my 27, the low gear will not engage when i push the pedal even if it's all the way. The only way the car will move in low gear is if the low gear adjustment screw is tightened all the way (On the outside of the transmission) then it will drive forward without even pushing the pedal. High gear engages no problem when the pedal is released. Is it possible it needs a new band liner? Any suggestions?? Thank you in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

G'day Travis,

Sounds like you need to replace the band material, take off the cover and see if anything else needs attention.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

OK thanks Peter, I'm pretty new to working with T's, what else should should I look for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Travis
When you push on the low gear pedal it should move sideways as it moves down. The sideways motion is what actually causes the tightening of the band. Does this happen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Les, the pedal does move sideways. When the pedal is pressed the cylinder at the bottom of the pedal pushes in to the transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Have a look at the cams that the pedals move on, these wear and reduces the grip the bands can exert on the drums. Check your adjustment for neutral while you are in the area, plenty of diagrams and information on how to achieve this available on the forum. You will get arguments for different types of band linings, all have their pro's and con's and will give varying levels of service. I use Kevlar and have had 12 years of service from these and only a single adjustment after run in in that time some others have reported failures after using Kevlar, I think that they had an undiagnosed problem that came to a head and blamed the band material for the failure. Many more use Kevlar and have many years and miles of service without fault.
Check your drums for cracks and again look for anything that appears to have excessive play, these are after all 90 to 100 years old with an unknown history of service and repair.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

G'day Les,

You type quicker than me. :-).

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

Thank You! I will take the cover off and look inside the tranny when I get back into the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Travis, if you can take a good pic and post it here, we might be able to tell what kind of band material you have and if we see something out of the norm if that helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Take out the floorboards and look at the base of the pedal where the shaft enters the transmission. Slowly push the pedal down while observing the link between the pedal and the high speed clutch. The pedal will move about an inch and then the low speed clutch will not move as you continue to push the pedal. At the point (about one inch) where the high speed lever stops moving the pedal shaft should begin to move inward toward the hogs head. If that is so, your problem is in the band or the adjustment of the band. If the shaft doesn't begin moving inward until the pedal is pushed in much farther you have either or both excessive wear on the cam and notch. or the pedal has been bent downward toward the floor from pushing very hard. The cam and notch are available from the parts vendors and you must remove the hogs head to replace them. I would recommend purchase, if you don't already have it, the book "Transmission" from the club. It has detailed instructions for fixing these problems.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Thanks guys, I will get a picture up ASAP. Also the cylinder on the bottom of the pedal does move inwards in the hogs head so it seems like the band is where the problem is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Transmission Pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Transmission Pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Transmission Pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:57 am:

Transmission Pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:57 am:

Transmission Pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Transmission Pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Transmission Pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Transmission Pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Sorry it took me a while to get back in the garage, here's some pictures inside the hogs head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

Several things I see right off; the bands look worn and are coming apart esp the brake band lining. The low band must really be worn to have it compressed that much. There isn't much movement left with the ears clamped down that much. If you push the low pedal down, looks like the ends of the shaft will be hitting before you get any low action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Thanks Mark, I'll get some ordered and start working on replacing them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

G'day Travis,

Might want to order new return springs while you are at it as these may now be not able to give good service after being compressed for who knows how long.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

The band might be from a GM transmission and about 3/8th to 1/2 inch too long.

Remove the band and look for the Ford logo on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

I hope there's enough low band lining left to keep the drum from being damaged by turning against bare metal.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration