Model T Paint Colors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T Paint Colors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

I want to start off this Thread with a Thank you to Steve Jeff who was kind enough to provide a listing of body color paints used on the late model 26 and 27 Model T's. Also a Thank you to Dan Treace who posted a photograph that had a Model T in the background with the color of my Model T.Now to the reason for this thread. There are 4 color greens listed. One can be ruled out,Highland Green,since it is listed as a dark green.So that leaves Commercial Green, Channel Green and Drake Green.Is there anyone out there who can tell me which is my color green? I'm including photos of my car and Dan's photo with the background Model T. Looking for spare paint for touch up.
Thank you all in advance
John

my car color

background model t color

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Even with the lights turned on, your car looks gray to me, not green.

But what the color is called shouldn't matter. If you take a sample (like the hood) to a paint store they should be able to mix paint match it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

John

Looking for touch up paint on old finish requires expert paint supply counter desk guy help. They will likely be able to compare, sometimes with special equipment to scan the color on part of your T and make a match for you.

My T by the way is non-stock gray. Got the paint mix codes from another who had painted his 'teens White auto in that color on the frame, as it was factory hue from the day. The gray color is really WW1 Battleship Gray!

I kept a bit of the old paint, and tried to touch up myself, but found it needed to be like what I sprayed on, that is mixed with catalyst and thinner in the right proportions, as when I just dipped a brush in the can, it came out too dark :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 05:26 am:

John, green is not a factory colour on your car, so the green you have could be anything, unless you have been given information that says otherwise. The easiest way to match the colour is to take a panel to a reputable paint supplier and have them match it.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

I had to match 40+ year old paint on one of my cars. I had paint that was still good but the fading that takes place over the years made it unusable as a match. I sent a paint chip from the panel to be repainted and had it matched perfectly by Hibernia Restorations in NJ. That is the only way to do it. I needed lacquer but assume they can match any paint type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

Wasn't there a color in the 26 / 27 years called "Moleskin" that was a light gray?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

Even the local Wal-Mart is equipped to analyze a sample and mix a paint to match. They don't sell automotive paint, but the places which do should have the same kind of equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Thanks for everyone's input.Looks like I have some work ahead of me. Now with new eyes maybe it is gray? I've posted another photo hopefully better quality. Need to find an auto paint supplier which won't be an easy task where I live but then again I haven't ever looked. But you guy's got me thinking now, best bet is to have the color scanned. Val, do you recall how big of a paint chip was needed? Hibernia Restoration is a state away from me, don't know how far from North East PA though. I'll start my quest with a Body shop that has done some work on my new cars.He has a paint supplier for sure.

Thanks again Guys

my car color2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

You've got it right -- go to a body shop and ask them where they get their paint. The auto paint suppliers are generally not set up for retail, so they don't advertise or have showrooms. But they do have the computer color matcher, and are generally glad to help.

If it were me, I'd drive the car there, and go in and ask for help. I've never seen a place where fellows won't fall all over themselves to do something for a Model T -- especially if you give them all rides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

Do not go by the color names. Six years ago, in 2011, we purchased "Sahara Beige" paint because that was the original name. What a mistake! It looks nothing of beige and was no where close the repaint that we found on the car. Eventually, we acquired some original paint chips and resolved the problem. The best concept of commercial green I have is to think of a dump truck but lighter than evergreen. Evergreen would fit Highland green. Drake green is the only one that has proper PPG numbers. Finally I believe Channel Green is more like olive, has grey in it. Ignore the young man who forgot his hat and shades for the photo op.
1953 Chevy colors

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

Sometimes the colorant(s) added to the base paint can surprise you.

I recently did some touch-up work on a friend's shop, which was painted a couple of years ago. It is a pretty, light blue - much lighter than Sky Blue.

We thought there was some paint left in the old can, but it had dried up. So, I took it to Sherwin-Williams, and we chipped out a piece of the dried paint and ran it through the computer.

Here's the surprise -- The base paint is brilliant white. But, to make this light blue, the computer told us to add a bit of GREEN colorant. Nothing else.

I was skeptical, but when I painted over the patches, it matched perfectly.

So, go with what the computer tells you, not your gut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 01:56 am:

Here is the official Ford Color chart.

color chart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Hahaha, any color you want as long as it's black. Someone along my Model T's 92 years "had a better idea" and painted it this color. My feeling has been to keep it as is while I'm it's caretaker. Thanks Frank I knew that was going to come up eventually.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration