6 Volt Ahooga Horn

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 6 Volt Ahooga Horn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

I have a good working Model T horn mounted near the water inlet....it makes the correct "duck" sound.

However, I also want to hide an ahooga horn under the car, out of sight because it's just a beautiful sound that makes people smile.

Finding a good working 6 volt ahooga horn that's not expensive seems unlikely. However, I've seen old threads where people say that one of the cheapie 12 volt horns that's available everywhere, sounds really good if you power it with 6 volts.

Does anyone actually have first hand experience with this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 06:05 am:

Don, I do not have experience with the modern horns, although when I have seen them working they sound pretty horrid.

I do have experience buying "untested" motor horns cheaper and have never had one that didn't work. Usually all that happens is the brushes and commutator gets gummed up with junk and both need to be cleaned.

The other thing I have noticed is that sometimes the adjustment is too tight and while it tends to make it sound better, if you have weak magnets on the motor, it tends to only work part time as it really makes the motor have to work. I recently experienced this on an odd setup of a motor that I bought for $10. I had to have an acquaintance of mine who does electronics help me out with that one. This particular horn is pretty dang loud too.

To me, if you can snag a "not tested" one for under $60, you should be OK and get what you need. As long as they spark a little when you hook up the leads, you should be able to get it working.

Correct or not, it is the only horn I use, as you said, it's pleasing to others and its what they expect. I also like the sound myself. I am in the midst of revamping the setup to be more correct looking using a modified stock style mounting bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Thanks Chad....I may have to buy one that fits that description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 11:26 am:

The Model A horn or others which were made for other makes of car are the best, however, more costly. When you buy one ask the seller to demonstrate that it works. Otherwise you might just be wasting your money. I have a couple of the "cheap" horns. They are undependable sometimes working and sometimes not. Usually will work when the engine is running and the generator is putting out but not when parked.

I wouldn't recommend placing under the car unless you live in a dry climate and in a place where they don't salt the roads. Why not get a good one and mount it in place of your original horn?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 11:49 am:

Don, The previous owner of my ’26 equipped it with a 6V Klaxon 8C mounted to the radiator rod. It is a smaller model Klaxon. Only thing I did was clean and lube the bearings and ratchet wheel. Commutator and brushes were in good shape. Sounds and works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Thanks Norman. I don't want to get rid of the Model T horn. I really like the "wounded duck" sound that it makes...but I also want the "ahooga" sound as well.

I live north of Houston, so my car will never see salted roads. And, while I don't baby my old cars, I do try to avoid driving them in wet weather when I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Thanks Bob. I'll look for a Klaxon 8C.

Does it make the complete, classic "Ahooga" sound....with the three distinctive notes (Ah Oooo Ga)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

Don, The Klaxon 8C makes the classic “Ah Oooo Ga”) sound. There is an adjustment screw that alters the engagement of the ratchet with the diaphragm. Sometimes I like to blip the horn button to get only the “ahhh” sound. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration