Oil slingers?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Oil slingers?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 12:27 am:

Heard both good and bad
Setting up to run side drive mag
So was going to remove the stock T mag completely
Now should i install slingers pros & cons

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 07:57 am:

Yes, even if the front of the engine would get enough oil with a high volume oiler on the hogshead, it's good to have four slingers on the flywheel to create oil mist for lubrication of the transmission.

There were weak slingers made in the past, but I think those currently offered are good?
I make them myself out of angle iron. A magneto distance in aluminium gets them level for the screws. Quite easy to balance, too.

liu

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 09:53 am:

I've installed several sets of Dan McE.'s slingers - best around if you ask me !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 11:03 am:

I used aluminum angle similar to the first post on my T back in the seventies. They would throw oil better than most pumps and balancing wasn't an issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 11:19 am:

I used the vendors slingers. Well built. I also balanced them. There was a small difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

I installed a set from Texas T parts nearly nine years ago. They are steel with corner bracing, and have worked perfectly.

However, I have heard stories in my club about people making their own out of aluminium, or not providing corner bracing. In these cases there have been failures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

I have the vendor oil slingers in the speedster and 14 Touring and have never had any problems with them.......
The 14 town car, 24 coupe and 09 still have magnets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Thanks guys
It been years since i was thinking to run without magnets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

I am helping a friend with his trans after a magnet broke and messed up a bunch of the other magnets and mag ring, so we are balancing the tranny and putting his old ring gear on as a slinger. I did this on my roadster back in 07 and put about 40,000 miles on it since with no problems

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

Dennis, I like that idea. Did you balance everything after assembly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

Don't need slingers. Waste of energy in my opinion. I run 8 spools and that's it. I know guys who run 4 and another guy who uses nothing but the ring gear to sling oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

Pat, Yes we balanced after installing the second ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 12:21 am:

well i like that ring gear idea.
But i had ordered a set from Dan as i needed lower pulley as well.
Since magnets are off i will install new triple gear shaft

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration