Looking to buy insurance for my antique car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Looking to buy insurance for my antique car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 11:35 am:

tragurtha is snuggled in the corner of my shop waiting for next summer,I think we have the kinks all worked out from its long sleep. radiator drained lifted up on blocks tire pressure lower'd oil changed after a good run time,now thinking of how to insure my treasure for next year.what co. would you recommend that I contact,hopefully I can afford to do this, thank you for your help.GREG. allso is there a way to tell if the oil tube is not plugged besides burning out the #1 rod? I do have some good hills here in Vermont, I put perhaps three hrs run time in the yard and all seems well with the engine. thanks again,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 11:47 am:

While I can't help with insurance (I have mine thru Farmers)I would suggest 50/50 or what is needed for your clime anti freeze. It will help prevent more rusting in the block. Unless you buy the pre mix, I would suggest pre mixing before putting in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

I get mine through Hagerty there are several other insurers that cater to the antique car people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

a quick search of the forum brought this up
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/751261.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

I ask about liability for my T pickup when I finish it from Farm Bureau and agent told me same cost as my other cars ,which is the route I will take if I can get thru the titling hoops.Now if I want complete coverage,which I am sure that is what you looking at,he suggested Haggerty right off the bat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward C Cholota on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

Here in Tennessee I got full coverage for my 16, from American National Insurance for $64:00 every six months. That has to be stock factory with original engine and no modifications. They require photos of the car. Blows Haggerty out of the water. They are nation wide. Worth checking out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

Mack - I think your "thinking" in regard to insurance is right on target! You are one of the very few who talk about insurance and mention "liability"! To me, that one word,...."liability" is by far, the most important aspect of auto insurance. Everybody talks about how great insurance company "XXXX" is because they "settled" so quickly and fairly on repairing or reimbursing for damage to your Model T. That's nice, but to me, it's just "icing on the cake". But if you wrinkle a fender, or, for that matter, if you total a car, at least "THAT" won't ruin you financially for the rest of your life! Nobody wants to talk about it, but accidents do happen, and if, God forbid, you injure or kill someone, if you don't have adequate "LIABILITY" insurance, how fairly and quickly the insurance company settled with you for your wrinkled fender, doesn't make a damned bit of difference!!! FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

I have Taylor insurance, it is about half the price of Hagerty for the same coverage. They advertise that if you insure three vehicles any addition ones are no cost. Worth checking into.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

Bill - You said,...."They advertise that if you insure three vehicles any addition ones are no cost." I cannot find, nor have I ever seen where they advertise that. You may have "heard" that, but I don't believe it's true. (???)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

Considering everything external (body work, paint, rental, etc.), is pretty much the same everywhere, How does an insurance company advertise and provide insurance at a rate substantially less than every other company?

I'll tell you: MED PAY. These companies have been reducing the amount of medical coverage they provide. Less coverage equals lower rates.

This all sounds good until you need medical treatment and the insurance company says: Sorry, we paid all you're going to get according to the policy.

For full coverage, watch that med pay, for you and anyone else hurt in the incident. Hopefully, NONE of us will EVER need it. But, if we do, we'll sure be glad we had a greater amount.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

I've never heard a bad word said about Hagerty. I've been insuring with them for about eight years. -They're friendly and they really do love antique cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

I have been with Condon and Skelly. I have had two claims and they paid up with no problems. Very satisfied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

I recently purchased another antique motorcycle & added it to my JC Taylor policy... They sent me a small refund check (about $6)due to the added quantity discount. Yes, it does pay to collect a bunch of toys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

I switched from Taylor to Hagerty because of the more liberal driving limitations with Hagerty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

I would suggest you talk with the agent who presently carries your cars and homeowners. You already have a history with them and vice versa. Trust their recommendation for your antique(s) as you have for your other things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

I have JC Taylor. Inexpensive. Great customer service. Fast payout.

We were sideswiped a few years ago. By the grace of God, we were not rear-ended at high speed...goofy lady swerved at last second. Without going into dramatics, the final deal was one bent demountable and a cracked spoke.

Conversation with agent goes like this...Me: I have a bent rim and a cracked spoke... Rim is $200 and spoke is $10. Him: how many spokes in the wheel? Me: "Twelve". Him: "I'll get a check off to you for $350...that should also cover shipping...please call us if you find any further damage".

Check received in about 6 days. Try to beat that for service...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Well,I had 50,000-100,000 for liability insurance then upped it to 100,000-300,000 when a fellow I knew was in a wreck they blamed him for.He had state minimum coverage.When it was all said and done,he could not own anything for it being taken as part of what he owed the victims of the wreck.van load of women and kids.None died but the medical bills were astronomical.It ruined that man. He was a recovering alcoholic and was trying to get his life on track,a malfunctioning light had witnessed claiming both had green,which is not really possible .

The accident I was in being hit by a tractor trailer was expensive for workers comp and the insurance. My medical bills were nearly 300,000 dollars. Semi's are required to have 1 million in coverage.So in the end they did pay expenses and such but trust me,I didn't see much of it! Lawyer had a shin dig in Tahiti i think.:-(

In my humble opinion carrying more than is required shows the courts you were responsible enough to carry more than required insurance instead of skating over the ice just to keep a tag if it ever hits the fan and you are against the wall..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

I have J.C. Taylor. a couple years ago I injured my finger when I opened the trunk on my Roadster (It had been converted to a rumble seat). It fell on my hand and cut my finger badly. This happened while on a tour and I went to the ER for stitches. My medical insurance would not pay because it happened on the car. The bill was about $1,000. I sent it to Foremost, which is Taylors Insurance carrier. They paid $900 and my medical insurance covered the other $100.

I have not had an accident nor have had any of my T's stolen, but I am very satisfied with Taylor.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Foremost is who I have my golf cart insurance thru,fair price on it to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

I've seen many of these discussions before both here and on AACA forums. Everyone want's to discuss COST when what you should be talking about is PERFORMANCE. I've been with J.C. Taylor for as long as I've had an antique car. Had a claim last year and was totally impressed. I've known others who have had similar experience with them too and the level of service and personal attention has been fantastic. That's my recommendation.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 02:03 am:

I have had Classic Collectors insurance for about six years. and currently have four cars with them.

They insure classic and Antique vehicles with different millage plans, Zero deductible with full coverage, My 1926 Touring costs $72.00 per year for full coverage zero deductible, on lowest millage plan of 1500 miles per year,$100K per accident, vehicle value set at $15,000 and they increase value about 6% yearly for inflation, They require pictures of front & one side and rear and other side plus one interior picture, never had a claim but friendly local agent easy to do business with. They require that you own one or two non classic car's for normal driving, since the rate is based on limited liability exposure. My regular car insurance company was killing me before I switched to special classic insurance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Harold and others,
I called Taylor Insurance today and asked about the no charge for addition cars insured after the first three. I was told that the no charge was for liability and uninsured motorist. If you go to the application it is stated on the application after three "no charge"
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Like Bob, I never heard a bad word about Hagerty. But yesterday one of the T guys on Facebook was "very disappointed" (he said it several times) when their adjuster low-balled him with $1300 on several thousand dollars worth of damage. I think it's possible for even the best organizations made of humans to go off the rails occasionally.

That said, I have Hagerty insurance on my 1915 runabout because of so many positive forum comments. I switched it from regular State Farm for greatly reduced cost. So far I haven't had to use it.

Hagerty didn't like my old truck, so it's insured with Classic (American Modern) for half of what I used to pay State Farm on it. Also no claims on this one so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 11:29 am:

I use Hagerty. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Have had Taylor for many years.Very Satisfied.

Saw this on the Model T Owners Face Book Page... "Feeling absolutely frustrated with Hagerty Insurance I got sideswiped took out two fenders cracked my mahogany firewall bent two in a rims broke a support Rod to the windshield and bent my oil pan Hagerty Insurance offered $1,300 to fix it keep in mind I was slowing down hand signal to turn into my driveway when a car took me on a double line feeling frustrated with Hagerty Insurance."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration