OT - Old Photo - Help ID Touring Car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Old Photo - Help ID Touring Car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

This is a photo of my grandfather, Henry Allen and his grandmother, Mary Allen. She came to Texas when it was an independent nation.

The photo was taken near Mercedes, TX.

He was born in 1910 so I'm guessing, by his apparent age, that it was taken around 1920 or so.

Can anyone help ID the car?

(Message edited by rustyfords on November 30, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Chandler, about 1920. It is the rear window (light) that tells. They had a unique shape, the same "bowtie" shape as the radiator emblem which cannot be seen in this photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 12:14 am:

A little more. The first thing I spotted, was the ten spoke front wheels. That is a bit unusual, however, there were quite a few cars that had that. Cadillac was well known for ten spoke fronts, twelve spoke rears for many years, but the car clearly is not a Cadillac. Then I spotted the rear light (window). That feature was unique to Chandler. However, not all Chandlers had that. It was done on some models, in some years. It is very rare to find enclosed bodies with that shape rear window, however there are several survivors, and occasionally they can be spotted in era photos as well. The open cars (roadsters and touring cars) often had that shape rear light (window) originally, for only a few years. I don't know just when it began or ended. Definitely, it shows up as early as 1919 (I think likely 1918?), and continued on some (not all open cars) until at least 1923 (again, I think maybe as late as 1925). Of course, when a car is restored (what you might see today), the people doing the work may or may not do the top's rear curtain properly. So cars today may or may not have that feature, regardless of whether they had it originally or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 08:13 am:

Thank you Wayne. You've provided an answer to a question I've had for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

didn't Harold Lloyd use a Chandler in one of his movies? I think they called it a "Butterfly Six".

butterfly six

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

Saw the "Butterfly Six" movie two weeks ago. Spoiler Alert: they slowly destroy the car in one outing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

I think the car in the photo above with Harold Lloyd is a Chevrolet.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration