Look What I Found

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Look What I Found
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 01:10 am:

Looking through craigslist ads for a rustic table, I found an ad for "Coolest Console Table Ever." This is what was pictured!

Surface is rough, it's been well used. I'll need to make the missing pieces, but at least the rear cone is there. What are the gear teeth on the cone used for? I hope I didn't overpay, but I think I got a deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 01:47 am:

Fantastic! Ok so how low was the price? What a great find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 02:01 am:

That's the most complete pan table "junk buy" I've ever seen. That rear alignment piece is seldom found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 07:54 am:

I hope you paid what it's worth or you're gonna get hard by some righteous folk!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 08:04 am:

It's a museum piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 08:12 am:

Model T Folk Art at itís finest

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 08:17 am:

Great find ... and what a coffee table!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Neat coffee table for sure!
We can only imagine how many of these went to the junk yard and sold for scrap.
At least somebody saved it and was willing to use it as a coffee table!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Jeff, nice find. The "gear teeth" are just "finger holds" The small hole in the shaft is for a cotter key or pin to keep the cone from falling off the shaft when beating on the pan while straightening it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 10:50 am:

I've made some lucky purchases, but I'm still waiting to find one of those coffee tables. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum, NL on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 11:05 am:

That's a lucky find ! Have the surface skimmed (like a head) by a good machineshop, redrill the holes and put new dowels in, let the machineshop take of just a hair off the cone surface, fix the cone with new bolts on the new surface (it will line up perfect when you use the old holes) and it is good as new and very usable to straighten pans on again !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 11:06 am:

If I were to purchase one these in a month or so, what price range should I offer the owner?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 11:07 am:

That looks to me like a jig for alignment of the crankcase. If it is straight you might have found a very good tool.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Can it be milled to be "true?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

Great score ! And yes, Mark - it can be milled or surface ground like I had done to mine - couldn't find one to purchase so I built my own (with some help).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Can someone give me the dimensions / measurements of the front plate and shaft for the handcrank and the bar for the pan ears?

The lady I got it from sort of knew what it was. She re-purposes all kinds of old junk into tables, shelves, yard art, etc. She got it from a guy who told her it was for a Model A. Her husband knew what a Model A pan looked like, and knew it wasn't for that, but didn't know it was for a Model T. They were happy that it was going to be put back to use in it's intended role. I don't know what she paid for it, but I had to give her $350 and she was happy with her profit. She said that to her, the legs alone were worth $300-$350

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

You have the easy parts missing !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

I just recently purchased a partially complete KRW combination machine to salvage the legs for my pan jig ! Anyone need parts ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

We're the legs bolted on or was it forged together. I live close to a large scrap yard and there are piles and piles of scrap iron.

When I take a load of scrap I always go slow and try to eye the piles as closely as I can.
Occasionally there are large slabs of iron or steel. If the legs were bolted on they might have come off over the years. Just maybe I will see a 'coffee table' out there or one without the legs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

That thing looks pretty rusted and pitted, will it hold coffee cups? You lucky dog!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Yes, the leg castings are bolted on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 01:43 am:

Jeff, Nice find. I can make all the needed parts for you and dowel pin them as original. I will need to know if it is an early or late crank-case aligning jig. The early ones had 4 bolts holding the starting crank alignment part and was dowel pined. The later one only had 1 bolt and was dowel pined. See you at the LBMTC Christmas dinner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 03:09 am:

Doug I haven't tried a coffee cup yet, but it does hold a cold can of rocky mountain spring water quite well.

Don I'll be right over!

As long as the table is level and flat, I don't see how the pitting will hurt anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Great find. How's your back.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration