Something else to destroy my magneto

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Something else to destroy my magneto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

The starter wouldn't work on my T today. Bypassing the switch with a jumper cable direct from the battery to the post on the starter confirmed that the starter was the problem. I removed it and found it very oily inside. I disassembled it and cleaned and dried it out. Guess I'll have to find the article about installing a seal to prevent that. I removed the starter drive then the starter. Now the woodruff key for the drive is nowhere to be found. It must have went down into the oil pan. I drained the oil, hoping it would flush out. No luck. I spent quite some time fishing with a magnet. No luck there either. I can get another key but it worries me not knowing where the old one is. Hiding, waiting to destroy my magneto probably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

I feel your pain, lost part of a cotter pin adjusting the clutch. I did the same things and even inserted 1/4 inch plastic tube and blew compressed air around. I even installed a magnetic drain plug. It still hasn't shown up 100 hours of driving later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

Sometime they stay stuck in the part you removed that the key fits in.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

Tommy,

Have someone slowly hand crank the engine with ignition OFF while you view the flywheel magnets in the starter opening. If you are lucky, you will see the woodruff key clinging to a magnet.

Bob Jablonski recommended this trick to me when I dropped a band nut and was successful. Good Luck!

Band Nut on Magnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

I read elsewhere that a starter might actually work, for a awhile at least, without the woodruff key. Maybe mine was missing before I took it apart. When the starter works with out the key all the pressure is put on the one bolt, right? Tomorrow I will look for evidence of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

It is quite possible the key was not there when you disassembled it. That key is quite a distance from the hogs head and if it fell out would most likely go on the floor.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

Here's my bolt. Looks like it was multi-tasking doesn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 12:19 am:

Tommy, Had that same problem earlier this year could not find that key any where, so off to the hardware store. Got it all back together putting my tools away and lo and behold there is the key laying on the running board. I could not see it, I only found it when I wiped the running board off with a rag it blended that well. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 07:43 am:

Jim, I would love for mine to show up. Not so much to reuse it, but to know for sure where it is , or where it ain't. Did you find one the right size at the hardware store? I'm hoping it's not a odd size and I would have to file one down to fit.
I am going to try and put mine back together this morning and drive it in the parade this afternoon. I have already ordered new bolts, key, and cover gasket from Lang's so I can remove the drive and fix it right in a few days. Meanwhile I will hand crank it all I can. Thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 07:49 am:

Jim, I would love for mine to show up. Not so much to reuse it, but to know for sure where it is , or where it ain't. Did you find one the right size at the hardware store? I'm hoping it's not a odd size and I would have to file one down to fit.
I am going to try and put mine back together this morning and drive it in the parade this afternoon. I have already ordered new bolts, key, and cover gasket from Lang's so I can remove the drive and fix it right in a few days. Meanwhile I will hand crank it all I can. Thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 08:11 am:

That sure looks like the bolt that holds a pedal shaft cam in the transmission housing (hogs head).

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3437.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 08:26 am:

Tommy, Yes it is a common size I just don't recall what size that is. Oldtimers you know. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Got the key, and a spare, from the hardware store. Now to put it all back together. I just checked the starter , without the drive, using jumper cables and it doesn't spin as fast as I expected it would. maybe I better have another look inside before I install it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Is the oil drain hole on the bottom of the starter clogged?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Trying to keep track of small parts when taking things apart can be a pain. I started using those 4" magnetic pans that I get free from Harbor Freight. Place one near where you are working and put everything in it. For those clutch finger cotter pins, dental floss is your friend. Loop a length through the cotter pin and tie off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

I took the starter back apart, cleaned everything again, and installed new brushes. Still very slow turning and weak. I can hold the shaft and keep it from turning when connected to the battery with jumper cables. So I went and bought another used starter advertised locally. It works. We put it on , still trying to make it to the parade. Got it on and started it up and had an oil leak at the starter drive cover. No time to fix it so no parade. I made and installed a new gasket for the cover. No oil leak now. There is a cruise-in tomorrow afternoon.Maybe we can make it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration