HOOD SHELF WOOD BLOCKS-TAPERED????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: HOOD SHELF WOOD BLOCKS-TAPERED????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

1923 LOW HOOD TOURING
I am making new wood blocks for the hood shelves. Are the wood blocks tapered inboard to outboard? The hood shelves have a larger flange inboard and a small flange outboard. For the flanges to sit flat to the frame, I would think that the blocks should be tapered. TELL ME THAT I AM CORRECT.

Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, December 01, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

Paul, you may find the information you are looking for here www.modeltford.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 12:47 am:

Lang's # 4073 is what I am talking about, but picture does not answer my question.
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 04:08 am:

They are not tapered. The top of the shelf lays flat. The returns on the side are different to allow the wiring looms to fit under the shelf where they pass the steering bracket.

Hope this helps, Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Underside of hood clasp strip, with original blocks. When you drill the holes for the clasps, do them at angle away from the hood or the clasps won't work well. Counter sink some for the clasp springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Yes on two edges
see photo's, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 10:34 am:

THANK YOU Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

Bob, the assortment you show look to be reproductions to me. I have never seen a bevelled or rounded edge on any originals on our Canadian sourced cars.

Your selection shows a lot of variance between each block. On some the holes are in line and others are offset. The canted hole to allow the hood latch to pull on an angle is drilled across some of the blocks and along others. Something is amiss. If these are for sale, it might be a good idea to check them out to avoid any disappointments.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

Allen, I can not speak for Bob, or what Canadian cars had, but I have a large assortment of blocks that look just like Bobs. They came out of the Eldorado Ark dealership when a local collector bought all the old stock. They have the same beveled edges and a thin black paint or stain finish. There are 2 blocks for low hood shelves, two blocks for high hood shelves and 2 blocks for 26-27 hood shelves. They are all different blocks as well as left and right sides. So that gives a total of 18 different blocks. The same block looks different on each side. So I think you may be seeing a mixture of the different blocks or different sides of blocks ... I know that it is a pain in the rear to sort out a complete correct set of blocks from my big box of blocks ... have fun and be safe .......

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration