Vintage wheels but never mounted "Fireston".

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Vintage wheels but never mounted "Fireston".
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Olivier Chabanne on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

Hello everyone,

I have not discussed the forum for a long time.

I wanted to introduce the wheels I found a few weeks ago in a swap meet in France.
It consists of 4 new Fireston wheels, in the original packaging. They never came out of the original packaging. The hubs are not mounted and the holes have not been made.

I do not intend to take them out of their original packaging. They will remain exposed in my garage like that.

I have it just cleaned today.

I think they are from 1924.

Olivier (France)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

Absolutely amazing!
Fantastic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Oliver, welcome to the forum.
Those 6 lug look great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

What a treat to see.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Oliver:

A similar, if not the same, set of crated Firestone wheels were on the Forum a few years back.

Believe they were in the USA.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

Would these use a set of unique Firestone rims or do they cleverly mount the rim of a wood felloe wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

Did the hubs or rims come with the package?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

I know the wood felloe Firestones used their own rim, I would suspect these do too. Interesting that they are natural spokes with black felloes; the earlier wood felloe wheels normally came red, spokes and all. Gee, 29x4 rims?? that works out to them being for 21" tires. Hmmmm. They sure are COOL!!! I would do just as you are doing, leave them as-is, that's just too special!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Olivier Chabanne on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

Dave .... No, there are no hubs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Lucky find! They're beautiful.
Thank you for sharing Olivier!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

I am pleased to see you here again Olivier. How is the family? The cars? The '12 done yet?
I do hope you and all are well.

The wheels look like quite a nice item that way, complete with their shipping crate. Firestone at that time made wheels for many different cars and uses. A few, not many, automobile marques offered Firestone wheels as an original wheel or option from the factory. Firestone also offered replacement wheel sets to fit almost any car, including Ford. Their wheels were a well made after-market option. Those wheels probably do require a different rim than what the standard Ford factory wheels used.
Wonderful to hear from you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Remarkable that they came out of WW2 .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Olivier Chabanne on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 04:03 am:

Hi Wayne.

It is true that I do not look at the forum very often now. I am more often on Facebook which is easier to use ....

Thank you for this information regarding Fireston wheels.

Family side, it's ok. My wife Pascale has more and more difficulty walking with her foot but there is nothing to do. My son was 14 years old now and is passionate about vintage cars.

Regarding cars, I still have not repaired the 1924 "Rouset", I would do it later when I have more time. The 1912 rolls perfectly and participates in many ballads. My brother Fabien Wines completed the restoration of a 1924 Touring and started a Touring of 1917.
The next car I'm going to restore is not a Ford, but a small Amilcar "CS" sport of 1923, which I'm going to to restore with my son Hugo. This Amilcar will be for him when he gets this driver's license. I'll get it in two weeks.

Concerning the world of the Ford T, I took care of an exhibition on the Ford T with as main point, the role of the Ford T during the ww1. This exhibition took place from July 4 to November 11 in the castle where the Marquis de la Fayette was born at "Chavagniac la Fayette", near my home. The exhibition was very successful.

Olivier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Bunyip on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 06:06 am:

Good luck with the Amilcar. They are a lot of fun.

Interestingly, Ford used the Amilcar front brake design in the Model A. Amilcar used the royalty payments to develop their 8 cylinder C8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

Thank you Olivier! It saddens me that Your wife Pascale is still having trouble with her foot. However, all in all, it could have been so much worse. So I am still grateful that it was not worse.
Enjoy these years with Hugo, children grow up so fast. The more time we can spend with them, teaching, learning, and sharing life's pursuits, the better off they will be throughout their future. Restoring an Amilcar with him should be wonderful! I hope you can post pictures of it on here after you get it home. I have always liked the Amilcar, even though I rarely ever get to see one up close.
Also wonderful that model T display you did. You live in a part of France filled with rich history!

I almost never do Facebook these days myself. As a former communications "engineer" many years ago, I worked closely with many of the founders and framers of the internet. Most of them were "gamers", not engineers, and I came away with a general dislike of the way they play their games. So I tend to stay away from many popular websites. Besides, Where I live, the communications infrastructure is old and slow enough, that many websites cannot get through most of the time. The several times in the past few years that I have tried to look at something specific on Facebook? I was not able to because the download broke down and crashed.
So, this model T site is my Facebook, and it suits me well.
Always happy to hear from you!
Merry Christmas.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration