Explosion whistle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Explosion whistle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitchell Helgeson on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

I was wondering if anyone has seen a video on a explosion whistle that are located on the spark plugs. Just a curious new member and can't find anything out there on the youtube. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

Will you be happy with a "still" ?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/174867.html?1292095924and/

and/or

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/784459.html?1503815682

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

I hear they're a real BANG!
:-)
Mitchell, irreverent posts like this are common here, you just joined a weird family! But we're (mostly) harmless!
Welcome aboard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

There are three general types of whistles. Exhaust, that is mounted on the exhaust pipe (train type whistle), vacuum type (wolf whistle) mounted on the intake and compression or explosion whistle mounted in spark plug hole. Did a quick Youtube check and all I could find was exhaust and wolf whistle videos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitchell Helgeson on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Thanks for responses. Maybe one day i will hear one in person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Mitchell, the explosion whistle sounds a bit like a bird. Kinda, sorta, maybe like a cuckoo just saying "cuck" but not "coo" afterwards. That's the best description I can come up with.

I have a short recording of "old car sounds". The explosion whistle sounds at the end. I'll send it to you by private message, it's too heavy to attach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

Mitchell, a friend of mine had one on his 21 touring. Makes a loud, high pitched chirp. Very irritating. I loved it. Makes a good back-up alarm. Some will say using it will make the cylinder misfire. Not true. It only bleeds off a little of the compression and the cylinder will fire as normal. Bonus feature, the spark plug on the whistle attachment will not foul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

I will see what I can do - if I can find someone to make a film while I drive by.

It makes a funny 'peep peep peep' that speeds up or slows with the engine. The faster the engine goes the louder the sound is too.

I do have trouble with it working loose, so it often ends up in the toolbox part way through a run, but I still put it back on later.

p.s don't use twine to connect the lever. I was short of wire one day, and it nearly didn't end well :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitchell Helgeson on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 08:31 am:

Thanks to all. Eric sent me a sound file with explosion whistle on the end of it. It made my family and I smile from ear to ear. I just love this era and its cars. That will be going on a long list of things for my model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 11:44 am:

I found one with a metal trumpet (tin) at a toy train meet! No one there knew what it was (lucky me!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

David that sounds like a vacuum wolf whistle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

This one??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL6QnVJRUak

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Well I know this spring / summer there will be two additions to my T. The wolf whistle and exhaust whistle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 01:23 am:

Mark,
You're right, but there was an explosion whistle with it too--I just got confused when I posted. Strange stuff to find at a toy train meet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 09:58 am:

:-) maybe not, but it's like finding train stuff (American Flyer if your lucky) at a car swap meet!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration