Need Help with Clutch Housing !!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need Help with Clutch Housing !!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Dear Fellow Enthusiast -

Was all Set to install the newly built up Engine for my 1915 Ford Model T (Roadster) and the excitement was palpable. My mechanic came home at 8 Am and we were all set to hear it roar again. Mid-way during installations the mechanic heard a "clunk" sound and much to my angst told he may have to remove the housing and remove the engine again !! The car also wasn't hitting neutral so he suspected there is something wrong with it. Generally the engine when not hooked to transmissions should move freely but we were struggling and that is when he suspected something amiss.

We slowly brought the engine down. He opened the Pressure / Clutch plate housing and found it to be broken.

Does anyone have a neat housing with Clutch plates if possible for my 1915 Roadster. I live in India and will never be able to find one. I can get it made but it will never have the same finish and will always be tensed about its functioning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 10:33 am:

I donít understand exactly what is broken. Could you tell us by part number just what you need. You can look on Chaffins Garage catalog to get the part numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Sid, is it the inner drum, or the outer drum in this picture that you need?

I realize that this pic is for a later, "improved car", but it's close enough to enable Sid to tell folks whether he needs the inner "clutch basket", or the outer, brake drum for his 1915.

pic

(Message edited by cudaman on December 03, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Yes, parts are available, but a verbal description does a poor job of telling what ones are needed. If you post good pictures of what's broken it will be easier for us to know what you need. Tony's suggestion of using part numbers is even better. Look here: http://chaffinsgarage.com/catalog.pdf

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on December 03, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 10:39 am:

You need to buy the Model T Service book which is available from every Model T supplier. The next thing is you need to get your terminology right, so we'll know what you are talking about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Please find a picture of the same. Hope this will help. The attached is the part which I have broken from inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 11:44 am:

Some more pictures of the Exact part on how it is broken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 11:51 am:

Side view of the Engine with the plate lying on the top...Have no clue of it could brake like this and understand it is casted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

How many dics in your clutch pack
To brake like that you had no room in the clutch
Also was to pan straighten befor assembly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

I did not count but for sure about 15-16 discs in the clutch pack..Did not get "Also was to pan straighter befor assembly"..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

#3311 brake drum. A completely rebuilt one from Chaffin's is $460. A new one from Dave Nolting is $325, but you have to rivet it to your good hub. I believe Dave will rivet it for you for an additional charge.

http://www.davesrestorationandmachine.com/

You may also find a good used drum for less with a classified advert. http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?3487/3487

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

I live in India so guess I will have to rivet it here itself. Any idea on how could it brake like this. I have bee having issues with my Car refusing to turn to neutral. Was this one of the reasons?

Thanks Steve and the rest for all your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

I think the broken drum was THE reason for no neutral. With all those broken pieces jammed together with the clutch disks, I expect that would do it.

This website tells you how to assemble the engine and transmission: http://www.modelt-tips.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

I have a transmission brake drum in my pile of stuff available for a nominal sum. It is used and far from perfect. A new one is available from Dave.
However from what I have read about Indian Customs Officials, importing either new or old auto parts into the country, the duty could easily exceed the price in the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Bob M. was suggesting that you check the engine/transmission pan to be sure it's straight and flat.
If you try out the modelt-tips site, look for video 28. Video 28 is for the pan.
Videos 14, 15 and 16 might be very helpful also. 15 is for the clutch pack.
:-)
Keep us posted Sid. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 10:31 am:

Great assist as usual Larry. Sadly you might not get that there may be a language barrier between the OP and your ever expert self

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

Sid,

With your engine laying upside down, as you have pictured, it is resting on the valves and probably bending them. PLEASE don't do that!

If you do get a drum, and rivet it yourself, be sure to also buy the correct rivets. They're special. Consider also, if you happen to make a mistake and break your new drum while riveting it, it will be entirely your loss. However, if you pay the extra money to have either supplier do the same, and they screw up, you're covered. Remember, it's cast iron. Brittle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

Gary S.,

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

Thanks Jerry. I am trying to buy the Drums which are already riveted. Since I live in India there is very little expertise or help out here as there are less than a dozen Model Which actually run.

Also how do I remove the hub to that I can take off the Old drum and put in the new. It is way to tight and just not removable. Is there a better way one can do without damaging anything else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

If you're buying a new drum from Dave Nolting, send him your old one and he will remove the hub from the junk drum and install it on the new one. If you're buying the rebuilt drum from Glen Chaffin, all you have to send him is money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 03:36 am:

Thanks Steve. The distance makes it all the more difficult. I live in India and the cost of sending my "Junk Drum" will cost me an arm and a leg. Is there a simple method one can use to remove the hub? I tried using the traditional method of hammer and screw driver but it is way too tightly fixed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 03:39 am:

Thanks Steve. The distance makes it all the more difficult. I live in India and the cost of sending my "Junk Drum" will cost me an arm and a leg. Is there a simple method one can use to remove the hub? I tried using the traditional method of hammer and screw driver but it is way too tightly fixed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 07:35 am:

Looks like a hammer and chisel mechanic has already done work on that drum. The rivets must be drilled out. Very precisely, I might add, or the hub will be ruined too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

Sid, see this thread http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=411944&post=590042
Try this one also. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/281095.html?1334409460

If you don't have a service manual, you can buy one or download an electronic version here
http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/servicemanual/1925smcolor.pdf
and start at page 74 in the manual. My .pdf reader on this computer shows it at page 92.

Hope this helps. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 12:24 am:

Thanks a million Duey. Was very useful now the job to hunt for a puller. Will keep all updated.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration