Thinking About Spending Some Money...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Thinking About Spending Some Money...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

...on some new white tires.

I did a lot of investigating on the forum and internet but can't find anything conclusive in regards to whether the new white tires available today resemble what was available back in the day.

I don't think any period color photos exist of original non black tires and I'm aware of the grey ones. Were some really bright white or have we been lead to believe otherwise by the current tire manufactures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

This would be a good place for Mark Osterman to enlighten us re/ the nature of photography in the Model T era. Tim, you are correct to think no "color" photos exist of era "white" or grey tires, since I don't think color photography was generally available to the public before WWII (Mark ?). What Mark may be able to tell us is whether the photos showing white-white tires are panchromatically "true" on the grey scale, or are "lying" to us depending on the quality of light, and the panchromatic grey scale of "Brownie" photos in the Model T era. I'm curious too, although I've rather taken it on faith that from the advent of pneumatic tires in the 1890's onward, there were indeed, "white-white" tires . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Thanks Rich. I still wonder if there is a definitive way to determine what the originals looked like when new. I suppose there could be some first hand accounts but that would be from someone who is quite elderly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Perhaps I can help you. I have a ORIGINAL 1910-12 era tire. No Iím not using it!! Put I will be glad to try and take some good colour pictures. It IS a Canadian tire!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

I have long suspected that the white tires made back in the day were not really white, but more of a beige and perhaps a tad darker than that.

I think that the "refrigerator" white tires of today are a fantasy.

I saw this fork lift this summer with "white" tires. They are NOT the whiter than white tires which some folks want.

My two cents worth, perhaps overvalued. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Those white forklift tires are known as non-marking tires and are required on any machine working in food service plants such as Campbell Soup, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Cook on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Tim, as can be seen in your photo, they are not as white as what is almost certainly a concrete sidewalk just behind them. And, concrete is usually even a bit darker than pure white. Based on the shadows, I don't think the tires are shaded either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 12:22 am:

I think that if not all of them were pure white that you could get pure white if you wanted. The natural rubber color were maybe cheaper to produce than pure white tires but people wanted their cars to look nice then just as now. The fella that kept his car nice and clean might spend a buck or 2 more for a whiter tire. Just speculation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 04:35 am:

Yes, there was color photography before WWII, but it was uncommon.

+++ jpeg +++ 814608 +++ +++

In the Model T era color photography was rare and often experimental. With the introduction of Kodachrome in 1935 it became widely available to the general public. It was quite stable, and many early Kodachrome photos look as good today as they did when they were new.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on December 04, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 04:57 am:

I missed this one from the twenties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:13 am:

I'm inclined to believe that no extra effort was made to produce brilliant white tires. They probably looked like the ones Bill posted on the fork truck. White walls on the other hand were intentionally bright white I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:26 am:

There's a whitewall staring us in the face on Steve Jelf's posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:38 am:

And oddly enough, white tires photographed on a digital camera, such as my smartphone, ALWAYS produce a tire that is MUCH whiter in the picture than in reality! Here's one I took last June to document my replacement white tires and new tubes after the previous sent went to crap. Even though in real life they are "white", they are nothing as bright white as in this pic.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration