Got a Problem and I think it's in the Transmission....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Got a Problem and I think it's in the Transmission....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Got a problem...yesterday whilst checking and driving about with my recently ECCT adjusted coils, I heard a strange sound and wasn't sure where it was coming from. At first it sounded like a drum noise (you know like brake drums make), so I thought it was the Rockies...but when I backed them off the noise was still there and only when in low and high...in reverse or braking there is no noise...today I moved the car out just to get to the Yule lights down and parked the car on the curb. When I went to put the car back into the garage, I couldn't make it go forward without killing the engine...it would start in neutral, but as soon as you stepped down onto the low pedal, it would buck and stall the engine.

I tried a number of different ideas to get the car out of the middle of the street and back into the garage to no avail...my final option was to use reverse and back the car into the garage, and it's also running on only 3 cylinders again. Tomorrow I'm going to go to Harbor Freight and buy another jack stand and put the rear wheels on the stands, pull the plugs and the transmission cover and turn the engine by hand using the rear wheels to see what the friggin hell is going on in there...has to be something inside the transmission that I know, but where and why, those are my questions...has anybody else had a problem like this?

The things I know it's not are...the Magneto, because it works, the Reverse band and drum, same thing they work fine. The brake drum also works fine.

What it feels like is that High and Low can't find neutral...although the car starts, so it's got to be in neutral and since the reverse works that also indicates that neutral is working too.

Looks like I'm going to need to borrow back that engine stand of Tom Lovejoy's from Derrick and maybe his cherry picker too (since the car isn't in the correct position to use the hoist)...looks like no HME for me this year either, damn it! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Maybe the low speed link has come loose on one or both sides so that when you press the low pedal with the brake lever fully forward, you are in high and low at the same time.

Did you try using the low pedal with the brake lever pulled back into neutral?

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Mark, yes I tried that too, it makes this brake drum scraping like noise and then stalls the engine...however I am able to drive the car in reverse, which is how I got it out of the street and into the garage...good thing the T has such a good turning radius I was able to turn the car around in the middle of the street and back it up all the way home and into the garage...I just hoping that I didn't damage the bloody low speed drum. My bands are wood, so I'm not sure how I could've done that anyway...but something is sure amiss in there. Wont know until I get the covers off and take a look I suppose...fun never quits!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

Going backwards but not forward makes me suspect Royce's guess about pinion trouble may be right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:54 am:

When I first started in T's had a problem that sounds like this. The rebuilder did not put cotter pins in the clutch finger screws. They backed out and hit the clutch cross shaft. Made a clicking sound, then when I stepped on the reverse peddle the engine stalled when the screw that had bent one way jammed against the cross shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

I say it's the rear end. When your transmission is in high, you're essentially not even using it. It's a direct drive to the rear end. So, if it's making noise in high, it's usually not the trans.

Have you had a peek inside the transmission housing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

I had a similar problem, but my T didn't want to go in reverse. Didn't have any problems with the forward gears. Well, I pulled the transmission and this is what I found...

Broken Drum Shaft

Here's a thread a posted a while ago with details about the problem.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/351066.html?1364420304

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Another suspect may be the emergency brake shoes, if equipped, as some put on Rocky Mtn. brakes and delete the small drum emergency shoes.

A broken shoe could stop forward movement, yet shift when going in backward and allow rearward movement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

If the engine will start and run with the parking brake lever on, the problem is not in the clutch. If you can put the car in neutral with the parking brake part way on, and both low and reverse work the clutch is working. Next thing to check is for "free neutral" See chart below. It explains how to adjust for a neutral on your low pedal.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

When in high gear, there is a direct connection thru the transmission, so it is unlikely the trouble is there. With both low and high failing but reverse and neutral being good, I would suspect something related to the wheels cannot turn forward. Try jacking up both rear wheels, half release the E Brake until the clutch is released but the brakes not on. Now see if you can turn either wheel in the forward direction. Maybe itís something as simple as a broken E Brake spring on the shoes.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration