Am I missing a spacer in the Coilbox?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Am I missing a spacer in the Coilbox?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

I have a 1915 that was missing its black & brass switchplate, but when I have the plate installed it the key teeth will hit it.

My question is this- am I missing a spacer plate to give the key teeth depth to turn?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

There is a new product on the market, a spacer insulator that would fit under the cover plate. Snyders and Langs should have them but they may not be in the catalog or on line yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

James, You might want to check your key as well. I found the stamped sheet keys, especially the newer reproductions do not work well with the switch. The more expensive key from the vendors with the round center guide work great.

coil box keys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Thanks and yes, I have the more expensive round centered one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 05:59 am:

James, I am by far NOT an expert on these earlier coilboxes and switches, but I just listed one very similar to yours on the classifieds. It has a stamped steel piece that covers the switch assembly and the switchplate mounts to it. It may or not be correct, but everything fits. I can text you pictures if you would like. No doubt, there are many others here that can lead you in the right direction. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:21 am:

The switch cover plate was never "black & brass" in '15 - it was all brass. It might be the combination of the repro cover & the repro key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:52 am:

The new style 1914 switch plates never had any black on them at all. The KW's in 1913 only had black in the round center part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

Dqvid S.,
It sounds like what you have is a '16-'17 coil box that someone put a brass plate over the original steel plate. The steel plates aren't that common nowadays! However, if the stamped steel covers the entire switch, sides and all, then it's a later box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

David D., it has the stamped steel cover that covers the entire switch, and the brass one on top of that. I suspected that the brass cover was added later as the steel one has Ford, On, Off, etc. stamped in it. Thanks, Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration