In the dark

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: In the dark
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

I have a question, or three. If I start my '21 on battery and switch to magneto , I am not using battery, right? But if I turn on the lights then I'm using battery? My generator is not working right now. If I drive for a couple of hours I can continue to run the engine and even hand-crank if I need to, right? What happens with the lights? Will they get dimmer as the battery loses it's charge and eventually go out? thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Correct on all counts, congratulations! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

G'day Tommy,
Yes, if you start on battery and switch to magnito you are running on the magnito and the battery is now not being used. You are using battery with the lights on and will eventually drain the battery if your generator is not working and your lights will dim. You can start and run your car on magnito without the need for a battery.

Peter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

Theoretically . . . Before you drain the batter make sure you can start your T on mag with the hand crank. Sometimes they run fine switched to mag, but weak magnets or too much crankshaft end play can make it so she won't hand crank on mag. My Liz suffers from this - hope to remedy it over the winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

Rich is correct. The car should start on MAG, but there's a good reason Ford provided a BAT terminal from the beginning. Some cars need that battery help to get started. It's very common for a car to run well on MAG but need the battery to start.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration