Off-Topic? Photo - Don't Know....You Decide

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Off-Topic? Photo - Don't Know....You Decide
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:58 am:

Here's a photo I found on the "Traces of Texas" Facebook page.

It's the Alamo during WW1. What makes it perhaps applicable to this forum is the man, second from the right, wearing what look like Ford coveralls.

The link below takes you to a very high resolution version of this photo. Tons of delightful details to enjoy. The airplanes, and engines on display are spectacular.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/26/15/0f/26150f4fb84056243155b507582da3e5.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 09:04 am:

It seems likely that the man in the Ford coveralls may have walked over from the Ford dealership right behind the Alamo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 10:12 am:

They had an even more impressive display in the Alamo's basement!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 10:16 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYfjq3ZYZbA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 10:20 am:

The engine in the foreground appears to be a Liberty V12. The two engines to the right appear to be 90 degree V8ís.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 10:20 am:

I wonder if that engine is the Liberty Engine??Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

Along with part of the "Clifton George" sign in the background, is "Power Farming" over "Fordson". So I would say the photo/thread is definitely ON topic.
The Fordson sign also brings up an interesting consideration concerning the date of the photo. The USA entered the "Great War" in 1917, just about the time the Fordson tractor was coming onto the market. Does the Fordson sign help date the enlistment photo? Or does the enlistment photo help date the Fordson sign? A few of the soldiers in the photo look like they may have already been "over there"?
The V12 may actually do a better job of dating the photo. I believe it was developed during the war. Aside from that, recruiting for the air services began well before the USA entered the war. Both England and France recruited for their early air reconnaissance, and many of the US born flying aces were with them.
A wonderful look into the past, regardless! Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

The large engine directly behind the "Enlistments Open" sign is indeed a Liberty 12 cylinder aero engine. It was the powerplant for the DH4 airplane directly behind. To make the photo more "On Topic", Liberty engines were produced by many auto makers, including Ford. So you may be looking at an actual Ford produced engine.

To our right of the Liberty is an OX-5 engine. That's the powerplant for most Jennys. The V engine furthest right may be a Hispano Suiza, but I can't see well enough to be sure. The Hisso was a Spanish design, but produced in several other locations, including the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

I believe it was the Hispano-Suiza V8 aero engines that early US hotrodders would cut in half to make souped up 4 cylinders for early sprint cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Just saw this and what a cool photo!
Are those bullet holes in the "pans" up in the wires?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration