Emergency Brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Emergency Brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Nebelsky on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

I have owned my 1915 Touring almost a year now and have learned so much by reading this forum (and still so much more to learn). Thank you to all the members that give such fantastic advice.
My question today has to do with the emergency brakes on the rear wheels. I pulled one of the wheels yesterday and this is what the brake shoes look like: brake shoesbrake shoes 2
I have looked at all of the T part suppliers and all but one offer the brakes shoe as a one piece unit. There is one supplier that offers both, either one piece or the two piece like on my car. My question is: Which is the better way to go- One piece or two piece brake shoes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

Parking brake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

One piece lined shoes. Originally one piece they weren't lined until late in the T's production run but lined & one piece is the way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

I use these from Lang's- they work perfect. Part number 2566AQ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Why not just re-line those ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

I agree with Doug
Parking brake!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Why not just buy the lining and as Steve said, reline the ones you have. There are many T running around with 2 piece parking brakes like yours.
I ran mine for many years till I installed the 26/27 rear end when I installed the Warford and Rocky Mtn. brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

David, the two piece shoes you have, and those available still from the vendors, are not very well made and require much fiddling to get the fit correct. Once done, they work well. Yours look to be oil soaked, so you may have a rear axle seal problem.

The newer one piece type are very well made and fitting is a breeze. Opinions vary on whether they should be fitted in one piece or cut at the pivot bolt to make two pieces. I cut mine almost through at the pivot bolt, so that if the cast shoe does break, it will do so at the cut and there will be no adverse consequences, the brakes continuing to operate as usual.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

Nothing wrong with 2 piece shoes. Since you already had riveted lining you can just reline yours.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Nebelsky on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

Thank you everyone for your great advice. Since I like to work on the car and always want to learn something new, I have ordered new linings and am going to try re-lining them myself.

Allan, thank you for the observation on the axle seals. I will definitely check on those.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration