Starter ring gear ID question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Starter ring gear ID question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

About 5 years ago the ring gears were coming a little oversize and were very sloppy on flywheels (being generous with that description).

At present I have an engine apart (doing this one for me) that has a pretty good gear, but not wanting to have to do this again anytime soon or maybe ever, am contemplating replacing the gear with new and just be done with it. I'm really torn over this as this is the first original ring gear I've ever seen that you cannot easily tell where the engine stops...every tooth has a small burr but that's it. No sharp teeth, no bendix wear at 180 degrees...nothing.

So, are the ring gears presently being made correctly with a very close fit to the flywheel?

Might just be cheap insurance.

Thank you for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

It's your choice on what to do but there are some transmissions out there that have good ring gears on them. A few years ago I bought 2 really nice used ring gears at Chickasha for replacements if I will ever need any.

I installed a new one on my 24 a few years ago because the original was really used up. When I got the new one in I compared it with some good used ones I had.
I used a good original that was just as good as a new one on a later car rebuild.

For peace of mind use a new one if they are well made but don't throw way the excellent condition one you presently have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

Looking again, it is not as pristine as I thought and so will not feel bad about replacing...still want to know if repros are made right or if one supplier or another has a problem

thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

i just put a new ring gear on 1914 T that belongs to Ed Daniels. I added a starter.
The ring gear came from Langs and seems to work well. one side is beveled so, make sure beveled side goes to rear of car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Thanks Phillip...that's encouraging to hear. I hear that several folks in the club have updated their cars...in Ed's case, he really held out...can't blame him for easing his effort at his age.

regards,

scott

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration