Help ID radiator. Original, aftermarket or ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help ID radiator. Original, aftermarket or ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Pulled this one out of the family parts barn in KS and will run it up to the local radiator shop for testing and boil it out, if it passes the smell test.

Needs to go 1927 Depot Hack. Seems to fit in the nickle shell and takes a T radiator cap thread and hoses will line up. Has two clips on the bottom, for what I presume to be for headlight wiring.
But the braces on the side of the upper tank, single diameter neck and no mounting brackets or evidence of any bring me here.

Original late year T radiator? Aftermarket, but correct?

I have two other dead parts radiators that I presume I can take the brackets off and install on this radiator. One has short L brackets held in place with two rivets each and one has the bracket as part of an entire side frame mount that runs to the top of the radiator. I'll figure that out later if this one checks out OK.

Any comments appreciated except the leading horses to water ones . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

After market. Ford never made a honey comb radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

Looks a little thin and may have only 2 or 3 rows of cores.

Probably OK for short engine runs on a test stand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

A good thick honeycomb radiator is nice. But that one is not thick. How good is it? You would have to try it under many conditions to know. Experience says it likely is not going to be very good as James G said. Probably okay for a test stand, cold climate, or doodle bug that won't get used hard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:38 am:

A waste of time and money IMO, unless you can find an old radiator that is proved good, don't.

Bought this one that 'looked good' for $50, a honeycomb.

When I filled it to check the core, a couple of seeps, and fixing that hex core is tough. But then noticed the lower tank was steel, and so thin, had many pinholes that just ran out the water in short order.

Only fix would be a new lower pan, plus replacement outlet that was rust holed too. All that if repaired still wouldn't guarantee a working radiator like a new one!

yellow paint marks to show all the leaks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration