A BIG THANKS to the Arkansas TIN LIZZIES for all their help!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A BIG THANKS to the Arkansas TIN LIZZIES for all their help!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Norton on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

Being a newbie I need all the help I can get in understanding the works of the T and what it needs to improve or just keep it going. My brother in law Mike Walker in Arkansas is just the man to help. But he lives 900 miles away, so I told the wife we need a new trailer to haul the T to Arkansas. The first thing my 27 Tudor really needed was new tires. Secondly Mike found a good used Ruckstell in Kansas on EBay. Thirdly was my leaking NH carb, still leaking after my attempt with a new needle and seat kit. The last thing I wanted to fix was my brakes.
Youíll notice in the pics of the Ruckstell some of the gears were not a good deal, also the shift lock that came with the kit was for a TT. So after a call to another club member and a four hour round trip we had the correct shift lock and also a super great deal,on some Rocky Mountain Brakes to help fix the stopping of the T. Now we had our work cut out!
So a Big Thanks to Mike Walker, Bill and Nellie Howell and Curtis Fesler for all their help! The Model T people in the Tin Lizzie club are all that I had hoped for and more,
PS Still got to hook up the Rockyís thou- to many adjustments, springs and pieces plus we had to get back to Michigan! Thanks Again. Gary
Pics of our workNot so god pieces Finally together Heading back home

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Gary

what a great report!

sounds like you have a wonderful support group

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy Mathis, Van Buren, AR on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

A really good brother in law would have convinced you to let him put Texas T Disc Brakes on the Ď27 like he has on his runabout/truck. :-) :-) :-) And yes, you canít beat those Arkansas Tin Lizzieís guys and gals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Having met Mike through the years at various events, nothing in your post surprises me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

You're in good hands. Mike knows his stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Norton on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

Another bad part from EBay kit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Norton on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

Anotherís bad part from the EBay kit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

Gary, Your lucky, with Mike for a brother in law and being a member of the Tin Lizzies you are in great hands. Welcome to the affliction, and maybe you can be ready for some touring soon ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Norton on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 08:07 am:

I canít forget Paul Mikeska visiting from Colorado for his help also! Another T guy with a great personality and oh yah his knowledge of Tís and Ruckstellís! Canít believe I forgot to mention his name before. In mentioning names Constantine stopped by Mikeís shop too, but he just talked 😁! Headed to Russia for awhile. Mikeís shop is like a revolving door cause a Charlie stopped by, then a Bob (Mikeís rebuilding his engine)! What a great brother in law and time Carol and I had! Learned a bunch about Tís!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 10:31 am:

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

We certainly enjoyed having Gary and Carol here, as always. But this time was better, because we were able to work on T's the whole time! :-).

I let Gary do all the work so he could learn about how T's were engineered, and I coached him through it all. He's a car guy who knows his way around a wrench and screwdriver, but this is his first offense at having a T. Curtis's car is in my shop at present, so he was around some of the time and was eager to lend a hand.

Gary mounted 4 new tires, tubes, and flaps. Curtis and I helped a bit toward the end of each one, but otherwise Gary did the work with the split rims, etc.

t

We parked Gary's T in my home garage with mine, because my shop is full with Curtis's car and parts. We pulled the rear end out and took it to the shop for rebuilding. I had picked up a Ruckstell "kit" from Model T Haven which Gary bought on ebay. Some of those unusable Ruckstell parts shown above were included in the kit, so we replaced those with new ones from Chaffin's. The nasty-looking pinion gear pictured in the post above was what was in Gary's car, so we replaced it with a good used one I had in stock.

g

Here, Gary is learning why Henry's boys put the shackle nuts facing the rear. He couldn't put them in that way because of the Rockies' being in the way.

s

One thing I learned from Gary through all this is that a roll of paper towels makes a great pillow when you're under a Model T. :-)

(Message edited by coupelet on December 05, 2017)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration