Tech: reversing the eyes on a rear spring give 2 inch drop.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tech: reversing the eyes on a rear spring give 2 inch drop.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 01:05 am:

I put this in Carston and ou r build thread but thought I would share it with the collective.

Well Sunday was spent re arching the rear spring. For Evan in Paso Robles California, I went ahead and documented the process.

First step take your spring pack apart.

Our next step was to lay the spring in a price of cardboard and get an original outline of main leaf arches before we started pressing the spring around.

We didn't have an anvil on the bottom of rod ( bottom of the bottle jack). We made our anvil out of a piece of black pie and 1 inch tee plus achingly 3/4 square rod welded to the bottom of the tee.

With the anvil made and the patter laid out, we took the spring and with a sharpie we laid our press point along the spring at 1" intervals. These were done on the main arch with center hole and further down the spring towards the eyes. You can see our sharpie marks towards the center hole.

Now it's press time. One person holds the spring while the other runs the press.

So basically you go back and forth across the spring pushing down with the press till the spring is totally flat. Then you flip it over and start going in reverse an out the arches back. Thus reversing your spring eyes. When pushing the spring to de arch it and then rear he it you have to push the spring past it's normal line of deflection (push it almost to breaking point and then back off. Check against pattern repeat till spring Eyes are on top of spring rather bottom ( gives you 2.5 inches of drop)

You will probably have to cut and reshape the ends of the secondary leaf as now it is too long to fit between the spring eyes.

Finally revolt the spring pack together. And the install in car.

Total time reverse the eyes took. About 4.5 hours. Stay away from the center hole as it is your weakest point.

Thanks Rich N' Clayton for the help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

I would have told you that that can't be done. Good thing you didn't ask me!!! Wow, great job, as usual!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

Hmmmmm...

just because you can, should you? Myself, I would not be happy with my suspension hanging from the spring the way it is now.

I suspect this one-off will be OK, but if 15 million had been built this way, I'll bet that there would have been enough failures to consider this design to be faulty or at least a latent defect, by us in the 21st century.

Otherwise, love your posts. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

Very interesting idea. I think I may approach Standens (our local leaf spring manufacturer) and get a quote for a brand new one. I had them help me make some replacement tapered spring leaves last year. Very accommodating bunch and quite affordable

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

Scott,

If you're thinking about the strength of the reverse eye, it's not been a problem, as this has been done on lots of times on speedster front springs. Just not common to have it done on the rear, simply because it ain't easy, but not because the eye will fail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

This is done all the time. It is a normal thing to do to lower a spring suspension, front or rear, since the beginning. You can buy them done, or have yours reversed. There has been many done in garages everywhere, right along with dropping I-beam axles.

Pat

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration