Big Surprise Drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Big Surprise Drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 08:41 am:

A Christmas gift from God in this part of the country was two more days of driving. Our temperatures warmed, the rain came,washed the salt away, and the roads dried. Sunday we got our Christmas tree, and put about 70 miles on the 25 Coupe. Yesterday we drove our Coupe about 150 miles. This car runs so smooth, it truly is a joy to drive, and much warmer than the Touring at this time of year, even though Ellen says we should have bundled up and drove the Touring car. Tomorrows weather forecast is back to winter. Might as well be greedy and wish for more driving weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 08:47 am:

Looks like a perfect two days Dan. Thanks for sharing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:05 am:

A T with a Tree
Perfect!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Nice photos Dan. Thanks for sharing! MERRY CHRISTMAS my friend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:29 am:

Thats livin Dan! I love that coupe. I had my RPU out saturday after some repairs. 55 degrees felt great. Went home and started installing the top. Thanks for the photos, keep them coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:33 am:

A T in a T .....

A T T

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 11:03 am:

What would we do without you Dan! I'm so glad Ellen likes T's as much as you!
Merry Christmas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 11:22 am:

I'm glad you got an extra day to get out and drive. I think those of us who can drive all year take it for granted sometimes. btw Is that a Chevy chase truck photo bombing there. I thought only us Harley riders used chase trucks.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

Now Scott, In all the years and miles (which started in the mid 70's) I've been driving T's. The only time I had one towed was my 14, back in the 80's, when the crank broke. Actually what happened Sunday was that Chebby truck was broke. We stopped to offer him a tow to town. He declined, saying it would be to embarrassing to be towed by a Model T. He said he would rather walk, and so he did! LOL (Makes for a good story)

Glad you all enjoyed the pictures.

Wishing you all a Blessed Christmas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Great pics.
Love the T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Dan, some years ago we were out in a friend's steamboat, and there was a power boat who's engine failed. We towed him in!! I don't think he wanted to be seen with the likes of us, though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

Very cool pics you two!
That T is the most ut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 08:21 am:

Dan,

Were you eyeing that large evergreen at the bend in the road for your Christmas tree?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 08:22 am:

David, That reminds me when I was right out of high school I worked at a GM plant near Syracuse. I was driving a beat up 56 Ford stick six, a car you couldn’t kill. My foreman was an Oldsmobile GM guy and he had no use for Fords. We had an exceptionally cold winter that year. He had a new Oldsmobile and it wouldn’t start when our shift ended if it was cold out. I jumped his new Oldsmobile with that beat up 56 Ford many times. He was not a happy camper about it. One particularly cold night he went out at lunchtime to start it. It wouldn’t star,t he came back in to get me to jump it. He was furious, especially when the other guys were ribbing him about it. That beat 56 Ford jumped a lot of cars that winter. As it was a GM plant, most of them were GM cars. That old Ford never failed to start no matter how cold it was. In the movie the Christmas story, I always get a laugh when Darren McGavin (the father) curses out his Oldsmobile for not starting when it’s cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Perry, yes we were but decided it was just a little to big for the coupe to handle.
I really enjoy this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Update, the sun just came out, the roads dry no snow or rain forecast for today, The coupe's going to be rolling all day we are on our way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Photos next?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

Dallas, Here are a few more pictures from today's run. We drove about 90 miles today, and stopped at Bass Pro for some Christmas shopping. We got back just as it started to spit some fine snow, and just before losing daylight. Another great day! As usual the coupe ran perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

It looks like a really nice ride, Dan. I'm kind of envious... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

I like the flat black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

Nice Dan!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

I really enjoyed your pictures!

Thanks again for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Dan K great moment from A Christmas Story. "That Olds would freeze up in the middle of an August heat wave." Won't be long before 24 hours of a Christmas Story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

Hey Dan - I wonder if anybody else sees the "mama" brown bear just above the running board tool box staring thru' the fog at us? (:^)

Beautiful photos Dan,....and the "Old Erie Restaurant" looks to me like an old railroad bunkhouse that's been restored!

Thanks for sharing you and Ellen's travels with us,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 07:39 am:

John, When in high school I worked part time building sets at a local playhouse. Darren McGavin was the nicest actor we met, very down to earth and would joke around with us in the wings between his parts on stage during the play. He was an excellent natural actor.

Harold and John, the Coupe is 95 percent original paint. The round spot you see above the tool box is a repair that was done sometime before the late 40's. When painted at the factory a worker was suppose to brush out any runs. They missed this car. Now that the paint has thinned the spots that sagged really show up as there is a thicker amount of paint there. Two spots that this really shows up on are just below the belt line next to the door, and just below the roof by the side window.The original red stripe is gone but you can see where it was as the paint under it wasn't exposed as the rest of the paint was. The interior is in original excellent condition.
I bought it out of a barn in 1988, just beating a hot rodder to it. It hadn't run since the 40's, I got it running and that summer drove it to Bar Harbor Maine. A 1,400 mile round trip. I rebuilt the engine 5 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 08:19 am:

No snow this morning, we were thinking about heading out again, but the salt truck just went so that ends that. Now maybe I can get some work done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 11:29 am:

I especially like the original taillight on your spare tire carrier, not to mention the rest of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn - Davisburg, MI on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Dan,

First of all, great photos of the coupe. I think this is the most original example of a 25 coupe I've ever seen and the first one that has rain gutters. When my dad bought his coupe in 1965, it had undergone a shade tree "restoration". The top was vinyl covered plywood, did not have the correct vinyl trim and was missing the rain gutters. Over the years, I have been replacing said shade tree parts with the correct ones, but I,m missing a representative example of the rain gutters and whatever pieces are above each door. There's a 1/2" gap between the top wood and the top of the door that I have no idea what goes there,. Would you be willing to take some pictures of that stuff for the other coupe owners that could use this info? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Aaron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 07:54 am:

Aaron, I will try to get pictures and measurements today and post them for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 08:47 am:

Great ride for you Dan! You lucky duck! LOL. Happy that you can get out on an "extra" ride. Blessings from God for sure! Great pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Tim, it certainly was. We could have had one more day, but the powers to be (IDIOTS) had to lay the salt down Thursday because it might snow,it didn't. Use to be they put it down if it snowed, now they spread it on dry roads and as the traffic goes by it's blown to the shoulders where it does no good when it does snow. Either someone is being paid off or they really are idiots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Aaron, These are the pictures and info you requested. When I bought this car, the rails and roof material were off, but were in the trunk. They were taken off in the late forties. The headliner was covered with a heavy coat of dust. I vacumed it very carefully, luckily there was no damage to the headliner. I bought a top kit, and installed it and the rails. The trim pieces that covered the nails that hold the rails on would have taken a lot of work to reuse. I have included pictures of them. I replaced them with an old metal measuring tape, which installed you can not easily tell its not the original. The car was so original when I bought it, I took a lot of detailed pictures of it and sent it to one of T magazines. It was never published. Now thirty years later, maybe there is more interest in enclosed cars now. I may submit it again. We only use it in the fall and spring, so I haven't put many miles on it, compared to my other T's. These have always been my favorite T Coupe.

I hope this helps. Contact me if you need additional information

The rail or gutter sticks out 9/8 of an inch from the body

These are the original trim pieces. They are 42 3/8 inches long by 1/2 wide

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 05:04 am:

Correction, the rail or gutter measurement should have been 9/16s. That's what happens when you don't proof read lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn - Davisburg, MI on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 05:07 am:

Thanks Dan!

I will be printing these photos along with your measurements and notes and add them to my reference material.

Thanks again!

Aaron

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration