Old Photo - Model T Era Dodge Bros. Garage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era Dodge Bros. Garage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:59 am:

The railway with double catanary is also interesting. The tracks must not be the ground. I wonder why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

could be fear of electricity? I was wondering the same thing. Or maybe it was an existing freight line and the rail joints weren't bonded, so stringing double wires was considered easier?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

Streetcar.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Spaced like that reminds me of the trolley buses we used to have. Could they actually be over the road?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

Double contact overhead for street railway systems was uncommon after the experimental years; I thought the Cincinnati system was the only one in the USA using double contact overhead into the 20th century, but Wikipedia says there was also a small system (2 mi of track) in Merrill, WI that did, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrill_Railway_%26_Lighting_Co.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetcars_in_Cincinnati

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 12:09 am:

Dallas Texas had electric rubber tire buses that used double overhead wires in the 60s, with swivel arms on top that allowed the bus to move one lane left and right and make turns on to adjacent streets that had over head wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 12:38 am:

There it is!

The perfect structure to model for my 1/4" to the foot railroad! Nice photo to 'guess/calculate' dimensions. Some creative use of rubber plaster molds for the block (cast to look like stone)work. The signage will be nice detail.

As in many past photo posts... Great find Jay!

PS Gotta love the wheels on that tank truck!

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 02:02 am:

Jim D., St. Joseph MO. had the same type of system for years, up into the '70's I think. Back then there were rails still visible in the streets for the trolley's, don't know if they used the same system as the buses or not. They were pretty much gone by the time I can remember. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration