OT; I'm giving a presentation in New Orleans on Friday

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT; I'm giving a presentation in New Orleans on Friday
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:49 am:

My wife, France, and I are giving an illustrated lecture on how various 19th century photographic work at the New Orleans Museum of Art this Friday at 1:00. The talk includes daguerreotype, calotype, salt print, collodion negatives and albumen printing. It is part of the educational programs in support of the current exhibit of 19th century landscape photography.

For more information google NOMA Mark Osterman / France Scully Osterman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 05:08 am:

If there is anyone in the New Orleans area ... would love to meet. Come along to the lecture if you have the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 08:18 am:

Mark,

That sounds educational & fun - even if I cannot pronounce " daguerreotype, calotype, collodion or albumen " .....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Many people on this forum have antique photographs. We demonstrate how the sensitive papers, films and plates are made and how they work.

Below: me coating paper with egg white and salt. The paper is then sensitized with silver nitrate and printed from a glass negative. These were called albumen prints. Every antique shop has these in the form of small mounted portraits about the size of a calling card.

albumen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

Mark, For the small albumen prints do you have to use small quail eggs? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

I bet ya the new Kodak would be interested how to make film processing again. 😂

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

Around 1976 I had the privilege of doing my own developer, stop, and bath for some 35mm B&W's I took but I wouldn't want to leave digital to go back to that. Unfortunately, I have to work Friday and the garage space I rent is off limits to visitors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Hope you two have a great presentation with much interest, down in the big easy. :-)
Fascinating processes.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration