Drivers Side Engine Pan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Drivers Side Engine Pan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

Below is a photo of the drivers side (LH) engine pan shown in the Ford parts book from 1918 until 1924. There is a small hole which the steering column goes through. The pitman arm must be removed to install this engine pan.

Below is the photo of the drivers side (LH) engine pan used from 1925-1927. It has a much larger cutout for the steering column and pitman arm to go through.

Does anyone know whether the later ‘25-‘27 style can be used on pre-1925 cars without any interference from the steering assembly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

Dan- I have pan 3085 in the second picture on my 23 Runabout and it fits fine.

(Message edited by Antique_iron on December 05, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

I have #3085 on my 1923 touring. No problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Thanks Steve and Tim!

I am curious. Can you tell whether they are original pans? Did you put them on? Interesting how both of your ‘23s have the later style.

I have a ‘23 and have this set of pans which are apparently for ‘25-‘27. Although the 2 hole passenger side is not shown in any Ford parts books that I’ve seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

I don't know what's the story on the two-hole right side pan. I didn't find it in any of the parts books. I never saw one until just recently, and I don't remember who had it.

If you bought these during the Model T era, you would get whatever was current at the time, even if your car was older and would have come with different pans. The ones shown in the 8-5-28 parts book are listed for 1909-1927. Nobody was thinking about being "correct" for the year of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 08:48 am:

I'm a firm believer that the two hole is not OE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 11:38 am:

The two hole engine pan is in fact an original part that was used in 1927, and sold as a replacement for earlier engines. The back hole is for a standard carburetor, and the front hole is for the vaporizer. A 25-6 is the same, but with only one hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

I think the theory of the two hole design being for the Holley/Vaporizer configuration is well accepted. But I have not seen any documentation that suggests that the two hole pan was used at any time during production. The 1925-1927 Ford Parts books show the passenger side pan as having one oval shaped hole. See below.

This raises the question of whether Ford was offering replacement parts (oval design) that were different than current production parts (two hole design), despite the part serving the same purpose and essentially being interchangeable. The resources required to produce and stock both parts would seem to be inconsistent with the Ford philosophy as I understand it.

I do not have access to parts books after 1928 to know whether the two hole design was eventually offered as a replacement part after T production had ceased which could be another explanation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

Note that even this parts price list from 1930 shows the passenger side pan with one oval hole (see page fifteen), not two.

http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/post-1927/1930plmar.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

I have yet to see any documentation that the 2 hole was a production item- doesn't make sense. But I can see where it was produced as a replacement because it eliminates an additional part.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration