Getting winterized

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Getting winterized
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

Today, for my wife, I cut a hole in our floor mat for the Arvin accessory manifold heater. Also, I found, on Ebay, some of the correct fuel bricks for our Clark heater. We're ready. Now all I need is a set of snow chains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

Are you sure that is a manifold heater?? I have two of then covered in the same carpet pattern so i have front and back seat heaters.I think you might find those use charcoal briquettes?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear. The heater shown is a Clark " buggy heater." Clark, and other makers, supplied fuel about the size and shape of a building brick. They fit in the tray that slides out. I just bought 12 of them on Ebay. The manifold heater is on the car and has an outlet that can be opened or closed. That's what the hole in the upper right corner of the floor mat is for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

There are a lot of things about the Model T that are not particularly safe. But bringing a fire (even coals) into the vehicle with me while I am sitting on a tank of gasoline it a bit over the line for me. Of course I live on the Texas Gulf Coast where it doesn't get real cold typically and doesn't typically last long if it does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

Kenneth, my heater must have been the base model as it doesn't appear to have had carpet on it.
One handle is missing and I plan to replace the handle using coat hanger wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

We got snow here today with more forecasted for tonight. Now we have about 4 inches. I know the Clark heaters are controversial, like water pumps but I have both. I might not ever actually use the heater but I now have the correct fuel blocks for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Betsy has a makeshift hot air duct that routes air from the engine compartment into a grate in the floor.

These pictures were taken last winter, prior to installation of the Ruckstell rear axle.

It's pretty lame, but it looks neat and shows that I'm trying. Passengers have reported that it does help keep their feet warmer. :-)

pic1

pic2

pic3

(Message edited by cudaman on December 08, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

Tommy, why do you say your buggy heater doesn't appear ever to have had a carpet cover ? I have never seen one that wasn't carpeted - it's kind of necessary, like having hot-pads to handle your dutch oven ! These are neat items that spanned the horse-drawn era well into the "motor age". The Clark heaters were effective and popular. Po' folks (like mine) would heat a brick in the kitchen range and wrap it in towels before venturing out.

Bob, I wouldn't want you to become even more nervous about sitting on your gas tank, but the actuality is that the Clark heaters were (are) remarkably self-contained in terms of fire hazard (they had to be, lest they torch off the ever-popular lap robes of the era) and probably don't run as hot as the exhaust pipe that runs parallel to your fuel line entering the carb, and passes underneath that gas tank we're sitting on !! >8 - 0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

What kind of carpet should I use to "recover" mine? I might actually try it once just to see how it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

Mark, I would be reluctant to cut a "real" Ford mat like yours. Mine is a homemade mat made from material I bought at a flea market. I will order a genuine Ford mat for summertime use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 08:56 am:

It's a "real" reproduction mat from one of the vendors - don't worry, they'll make more. It now also has a small hole in the center for the Ruckstell shifter. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 10:51 am:

The carpet on those heaters was a square-weave very short nap material the same stuff carpet bags were made of - if you've ever seen an old fashioned carpet bag ? ( we shot all the carpet baggers ! ) wool would almost be a necessity, a synthetic carpet could melt with the heat generated. Some imported throw rugs might be a source. They often had a patterning an oriental rug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:12 am:

I would be worried about using a modern carpet - it might use artificial fibers (essentially plastic) and might not stand up to the heat. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration