Factory engine hoist tool

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Factory engine hoist tool
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

Anyone have a better photo of the factory engine hoist than this or one that is more complete? I would like to make one of these lifting devices for my own use. I love the simplicity and we know they worked...15 million Model T's can't be wrong!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

There is a very quick view an engine being installed on the assembly line with that tool at the start of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx9d8698ACk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

And a much longer shot around the 1:48 mark...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Mike, I have thought the same thing. They look like large ice tongs. I have thought about cutting a set out using plywood for a pattern and them getting someone with a plasma cutter to cut out the two main pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

just get a set of log tongs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

I'm sure it was a pair of forgings built like ice tongs. Maybe someone with an industrial strength plasma cutter or water jet unit could cut them out of 1/2" plate. I could probably guess at the dimensions using proportions from the photo above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

Like this ? One end has a fork to grab the cylinders and the other is a flat spade to grab under the block by the valve cover opening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 08:58 am:

Very cool, exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, Steve. Any chance I could talk you into a few close-ups next to a measuring tape? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 09:04 am:

Mike,

You might look up rail tongs or log grabbers. Both of these are very much like the engine hoist tool. I believe a guy could modify one or the other into a great engine hoist tool without a whole lot of trouble.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:05 am:

Like this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Dan, you wouldn't happen to have an extra one for sale would you? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Thanks Dan - better photo !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Took me 15+ years to find this one. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:17 am:

I searched for over 30 years before a friend of mine said "I have one of those - been hanging on the wall about that long" - you want it ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Steve,
just sent you a pm.
Thanks,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:25 am:

These are used along with it.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:45 am:

Dan

you must just have all the cool stuff...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Dan, are there any markings on the hoist lifting devices? Any Ford part numbers like a lot of the Ford tools have?

Makes you wonder how many are still out there or were were pitched in junk plies and later hauled to the scrap yard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stahl on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

Dan - what ar the twisty hickies used for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

Lifting up the rear of the car to remove rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

BTW, you'll find all these lifting devices, complete with all specifications and dimensions if you want to build your own in this brochure of Equipment for Ford Service Agents.

http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/unknown-year/ford_service_equipment.pdf

Ford Service lists one 3Z- number part for hand tongs, but you better be a tough hombre to lift a Ford motor with that! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 05:59 am:

Found all these at Hershey, all the same year. That is why there is only one Hershey. The first one is for lifting the front of the car, the other 2 are for the rear. Found the engine lift at Hershey too. Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration