Has anyone noticed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Has anyone noticed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

Some of the prices folks are asking on this website for early parts are approaching double what they should go for. Check it out. Jeez, I thought this was a hobby not a profit endeavor!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

For some folks it's a hobby. For some folks it's a for-profit endeavor.

For the hobby to continue, parts must be available, so I personally don't see an issue.

I saw the same thing with antique clocks/watches in the '70's - 80's. Thought the "for profit" folks were ruining it for the hobbiests. Then I became a watchmaker for profit. At the time, the hobbiests were in charge of the market and I soon found out what it was like to go broke slowly and entered the Aerospace world to financially survive. I have never begrudged a part or service seller his profit since then.

Am happily retired and am now working both sides of the fence :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Are you referring to all the posts on eBay by a guy listed as Zingaling Plastics ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

The answer to overpriced goods is to not buy them. I'm in the habit of not buying things when the price doesn't suit me. Sometimes I just do without, but often I buy the item somewhere else for a lot less. Of course, some would say if it sells it wasn't overpriced. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

As with everything that's bought or traded, supply and demand will determine the value of early parts. Among individuals, there will be occasional surprises, both high and low. The parts suppliers we depend on to keep our Ts running certainly need to realize a profit in their enterprises, or they will go broke. So long as there is a steady demand for Model T parts, and dealers can profit at the prices the traffic will bear, life as we know it will continue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

The free market price is set by supply & demand.

Price too high ? = Then don’t buy .....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Agree with FJ
But on MTFCA things like OBO or simular don't seem to work here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

I collect many things, rail road watch's r.r books brass locomotives ect.I strive to buy only the best.IF I feel the item is [worthy] I snag it.price for these items over the years has become very expensive,so if I want this item I will! dig deep for it.and If I live long enough I may make a buck or two when I sell it.I just like doing this,i'm just now finding antique car parts have got my interest,and i'm finding the confuzer has buying reasonable, a thing of the past,so I'm hitting the back roads here in Vermont where things can still be had a bit cheaper.figuring in the time and cost of this today,well you have to make up your mind if its worth your time,hopeful that what you find is something someone needs and willing to make it worth your while to find it, buy it, advertise it, pack it, ship it.its time consuming but fun too.it gets me out and I meet some super folks too.GREG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Try building an accurate reproduction part from scratch... Aint no quicker way to go broke than that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 01:04 am:

Richard, I don't really thing things have changed all that much. There are usually reasonable priced early parts being sold, and some items that occasionally sell for much more then average. I remember a few years back, there was a 6 rivet rear axle that sold on eBay for 8k! There was a 1909 block for sale at Chickasaw a few years ago for around 9500.00. If I remember right it sold a year or so later for less, but not much less. Some just want a particular part more then the next guy does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 07:28 am:

Like the guy on Pawn Stars says; "That's what their askin' but what are they gettin' ".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Jenkins - Ohio on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 08:27 am:

Parts if you think T parts are high don't buy a early Ford V8 I've seen NOS fenders prices as high as 3500.yes they have sold for that owning a 32 ford coupe I have paid stupid prices for parts myself

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 08:59 am:

The parts were designed and manufacturing began 100 years ago. As they develop a patina and get rarer they become a priceless relic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 09:47 am:

Guys have to realize that there is pricing structure for OE parts- someone said it above "supply and demand".

If one wants to get a good idea what someone would be willing to pay for an item just got to ebay and look for your item choosing "sold" as the defining criteria. This will show you what people are actually paying for stuff thus telling you what it is worth.

You may think you have an idea what a part is worth but current sales history will tell you the truth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:24 am:

As Stan says, "they are made out of unobtainable"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:56 am:

I know about all that supply and demand stuff, I am just put off by those that are trying to squeek every last dime from a part. I think its a mind set. Get the most you can. So ingrained in our thinking we don't even think about helping a guy out if there is money to be made. Good old American capitalism at its best. BTW if anyone out there needs later parts and is willing to come by the house, I'll give them up at very reasonable prices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 11:01 am:

For new parts the manufacturer and the dealer are entitled to make a profit. If they don't, they will go out of business.

For used parts at swap meets, my experience is that I look all over for what I want and finally find one which is not in very good condition for a high price. After I buy it, I find them at every swap meet in good condition for a lower price!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 11:02 am:

I got a call from a guy in Oregon last night wanting a price to move a 1951 Chevy Wagon from Florida to Oregon.

Thought it would cost “ a few hundred dollars “ ......

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Trying to get 26 coupe doors over the past year was almost a game stopper. I saw new and old ones out there but figured that I would just make one if I could not get them within budget. The late 26-27 floor panel opposite the battery board had to be made because it did not exist anywheres. I don't know if anyone else would purchase one of mine but I would not be interested in doing it for profit.
I entered this forum with the false notion that everyone else on here was doing this for the hobby but I don't begrudge people trying to make a living either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Everyone wants to buy low and sell high. It's human nature. Sometimes supply, demand, desire and desperation necessitates buying high.
At least Model T parts-even the rarer earlier pieces-are still available.
Imagine needing a spindle for a brass era Pierce Arrow? Let me tell you, you won't be buying one for 500.00 or 5,000.00 dollars anywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 11:41 am:

At the end of the day it is good to know there is still a healthy demand for a good early parts & car swap meet.

I am looking forward to Bakersfield Swap in April ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 11:48 am:

I'm not a big wheeler and dealer but I occasionally sell a part on the forum. Many times, I don't know what to price an item for. So, I list it and stick a price on it. I have had parts sell in less than 10 minutes, with other buyers getting a message to me too late. That might be a case of me pricing something too cheap. On the other hand: if the item doesn't sell, I just mark it down everyday until it does. I'm not trying to price gouge anyone but I do like to get some cash for something so I can buy some of the things I need--that's the American free-market way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

The first time I ever took parts to sell at a swapmeet was back in 1974. I will never forget my first encounter with what I call the "price shamers" and the "run-it-downers." I would get replies like:

"Oh, that can't be right. You can buy those all over the place for five dollars."

"Oh well, this one is is not worth that much. Look that rust there and look at the dents there."

"Well, you you must have misunderstood what your dad said he wanted for that. He couldn't have said, 'A hundred and fifty dollars.' What he probably said was, 'Fifteen dollars.' Now would be more like it."

"Now that's what the big shots pay for them. There's not any of those guys at this little swap meet. You would be lucky to get one-fourth of that price here."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

Trying to take advantage of a kid at a swap meet is pretty darn low .....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

“Bad, bad,” says the buyer,
But when he goes his way, then he boasts.
Proverbs 20:14

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

Rick,
I know exactly what you mean about those "price shamers"

I would often take a load of stuff to my local tractor/gas engine show and then have to listen to an incredible string of hard-luck stories and criticism over my prices- no matter how low I'd go!

Now I mostly sell internationally on ebay and typically get 4-5 times the "outrageous" prices I was asking at the show, and folks are glad to pay it ( tractor carburettors and magnetos for imported U.S. machines are apparently THE hot item in Australia and New Zealand).

Of course I dont like BUYING anything on ebay (too many stupid bidders driving up the prices on me...) so I hit the local swap-meets ( mostly to replenish my ebay selling stock) where I helpfully point out how overpriced and uninformed the seller of whatever trinket I want for next-to-nothing is, but that's totally different!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Good one Dale

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

That's the problem... when you need a part, you can't get it. When you have a part, nobody wants it.
After you spend enormous time & money making one... you'll likely find a decent example someone was throwing away, not all that far from you.

That's how it normally works out for everyone i've seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

I have a friend who has been looking for a pair of headlights to complete his 1911 Auburn for over forty years. Should he find a pair, I doubt that price would be much of an issue.Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

Charlie J: was looking at a 36 Ford sedan just last week. I did some web searching concerning maintenance parts & such. Hell of a shock to be sure. Killed the sale for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Charlie, V-8 cars 32-48 has gone through the roof $$$$ the past few years.I saw a 39 standard model 2 door is unrestored a barn beam fell on the roof the fenders had big dent and interior shot he was asking 22K he sold it a year later for 20k to become a rat rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Isn't a $20K plus rat rod an oxymoron? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

That’s the market today rat rods lifted trucks etc

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration