What is it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What is it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 12:01 am:

I got this radiator cap in a box of other stuff at a sale. It has a standard light socket soldered to cap and two wire bakelite small screw in Christmas light socket with homemade reflector clamped and soldered to cap.
It had no bulbs in it when I got it and I can't find a small Christmas tree bulb.
What was it's purpose? sorry, no winners prize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 07:47 am:

Fred,

Here's the first guess: Long ago, there was a common practice of hand blowing very fancy light bulb shapes and colors. This might be an early radiator ornament where the fancy bulb was displayed with lighting from the smaller "Christmas" light bulb for driving at night.

As I said, it's just a guess. Only thing I could figure the construction might be.

Thanks for the brain work out this morning.

Cheers,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 09:06 am:

What ever it was made for it looks like a bright idea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:23 am:

well, now that i think about it maybe santa borrowed the T one christmas and had the light installed to light the way, much like he did w/ rudolph maybe a tune/wordsmith could think up new words. what is strange is they put the ground wire under the big socket where the center contact of the big bulb nearly rests right on it. maybe this is where DeSoto and Pontiac got their idea from. thanks all for the illuminating thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:30 am:

It is all that is left form the first all metal coal mine safety helmet which was made from an old T radiator. The smaller bulb was for the canary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Id check to see if there is a piece of bi metal there, perhaps to lite the bulb in the dark to tell your overheating, early attempt at a temperature gauge?. things like that from long ago took a lot of thought, very interesting. they did what was needed with what they had at hand,our land is built on things like that,thanks Fred.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

Very cool "what is it?" lamp assembly.
On that particular rad and cap, the shield and small "lighting bulb" were to the rear so the driver didn't have that light shining in his eyes.
A lamp to light thy path.

You know Dasher and Dancer and Donn.....
....the most famous T Coupe of all.
Chester the bright nosed T Coupe, lighting up as bright as day, Santa got one look at it and all he could think was HEY!
All of the other T Coupes, used to call his owner names, Santa thought to NOT use it, that would be a real shame.
Then that foggy Christmas eve, Chester was on cue. Santa to his faithful friend, "Chester, it's up to you."
Even the Packards loved him, thinking that could be me.
Chester, you bright nosed T Coupe, you are part of history!

Sorry Fred. Couldn't help it.
:-)

(Message edited by duey_c on December 06, 2017)

(Message edited by duey_c on December 06, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 08:21 am:

I think the small bulb is the pilot light for the big one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 11:00 am:

It's a 1915 accessory to double the effectiveness of magneto headlights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Probably only made sense to the guy who made it. Don't overlook the possibility that the Model T radiator cap is a random item, and the thing never had any application on a car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Well, all good guesses/ideas as to what it is but I think I'll award top prize to Duey for his score of "Chester the bright nosed T Coupe."
Really enjoyed the responses! Thanks everyone!

Sorry Duey, still no tangible prize. :-)

Actually, I believe it was nothing more than a homemade hood ornament that someone used to distinguish his car from the rest. In 1950 my Dad bought a new top of the line DeSoto sedan and Desoto's head (hood ornament) lit up with the headlights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

I think it is a homemade work light for under the hood when needed at night. Take off the regular radiator cap, screw in the work light and attach it to a power source.

Now you have light over the engine

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration