Sure Mike crankshaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Sure Mike crankshaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer, Milwaukee WI on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Members of the Milwaukee Model T Club helped tear into my 1912 engine to fix a bad magneto, and oil dumping into the pumpkin. Found a beautiful, counter balanced crankshaft with the name "Sure MIKE" cast into it. It could date back to 1974 when the car was restored. Does anyone know of this company?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

Yup, those are notorious for breaking...

They did have a heavier style, which might be o.k., but I'd be concerned if I had one in my car. Sorry. BTW, they were made in the days of the Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

The Sure Mike does really look good, and perhaps yours will be fine.

I bought one in 2002 and had check out magnafluxed OK, but finished up .030 under on the throws. Used it with fat rods too. Was gonna run it in a speedster, but changed the plans, and parted out the project.

This engine with that Sure Mike may be running today, but I have no contact with the buyer since then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

The advert forgot to mention that it cures cancer too;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

I have one in my 26 Coupe. It is noticeably smoother than my other engines. I don't run it much but it hasn't broken yet either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

I wonder if the reputation has been the result of people driving the CRAP out of Sure Mike cranks. I acquired one that cleaned up nicely at .010 but haven’t gotten around to installing it yet. Of course I also run fibre cam gears with zero problems!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 12:57 am:

We had one in the Speedster, it broke.
The Speedster now has a SCAT crankshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 04:18 am:

Earlier on the forum it has been written about a smaller radius at the end of the journals on the first series of Suremike cranks, giving them the nickname "Surebreak". Then another improved series was made with larger radii, but the damage was done and nothing is harder than repairing a bad reputation..

Of course, metallurgy is also important and it's doubtful any small company were as good as Ford by the mid 20's when the EE steel was developed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 11:50 am:

I too had one in a speedster and it broke to the point that I had to replace the block and and all the moving parts. That $200.00 didn't go to far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

I need to take my Hamilton 23 j Railway Special to 309 N Hamilton so i will look around.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Theodore c. johnson on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

I had one in my 12 touring. It broke on tour down in Mexico breaking the rear main destroying the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer, Milwaukee WI on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

If it hasn't broken in the past 80 to 90 years, it seems the odds of it being a good one are pretty high. I'm going to pull the bearing caps and check clearances. Am I taking too much of a gamble by using this crank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Just finishing up Theodore's repaired 1912 block with a Scat crank. Much better choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 12:30 am:

I agree with Les. I don't think Sure Mikes were ever meant to be turning high RPM's, but rather as a replacement crank to lessen vibration. Other companies making Model T speed parts for racing made stronger cranks. A Sure Mike driven like a stock T crank Should last as long or longer than a stock T crank, but not in a truck, or heavy sedan, especially if you push or 'dog' it too much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By w wade musil on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 02:20 am:

no one commented on the broken cranks if the engines had been balanced! vibration /harmonics can break any crank. have your crank magna fluxed ,checked for run out , journals round, and if it is good spend the $ and have the whole rotating assembly balanced . money well spent on keeping bearings in the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 06:41 am:

A new scat crankshaft is $1,600.00 and 1 phone call.

A good 1912 block might be around $3,000.00 after a lot of searching and evaluation for the right one.

At least have the Suremike crank crack-tested before re-installing it and also check the fillets and make sure they are 1/8”.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

Welcome to the forum WW Musil

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration