Windbreaker for 1915 Roadster top.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Windbreaker for 1915 Roadster top.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

One of the last major projects on my 1915 roadster will be installing the top. My car came with a new (un-installed) top. The instructions I have for installing the windbreaker in front of the windshield are a little confusing to me. I have been collecting images of windbreakers, and I have found two different styles.

Here is "style" 1:

Here is the second style that I found:

Is one style more correct than the other? Style one seems like it would be easier for me to install. Style one might also be slightly more effective.

Style two looks more like the windbreaker in the instructions that came with my top (although it is hard to tell from the diagram in the instructions).

Which windbreaker style matches your car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

The first one is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

Neither is correct for your car.

1915 Fords did not come from the factory with a wind flap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

The plate on the first car looks like 1918. Would they have fitted a new top in less than 2 years? The flap may have been added but It may be that some tops did in fact come from the factory with the flap. One thing I know from touring in the rain is that you need the flap if you want to drive in the rain and stay reasonably dry whether it came that way or not!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

The factory equipped flaps came much later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

Wayne,

As Erik pointed out correctly the 1915 Fords did not come from the factory with a wind flap.

That said, they also did not come from the factory with a roll up rear curtain -- and unless you want to be totally keeping with the way the car came from the factory I would recommend adding a roll up rear window.

Ref some of the photos in Bruce McCalley's book and CD which many are also in "The Vintage Ford" Magazines on page 261 they have a photo of the 1917 Rip Van Winkle Ford that clearly shows the top frame of the windshield is not covered with a wind/rain breaker.

Page 201 shows a factory photo of the "New" 1915 style roadster (the large headlamps and Larger Rim side lamps and you can clearly see the top of the windshield frame.

Page 212 and 213 show a 1915 runabout/roadster with a top that has the roll up rear window. While that is not original -- it gives you a nice shade in the hot summer time with the top up and it cuts down on the drag of the top and allows good air circulation.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration