Question about the Carb Bowl Gasket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question about the Carb Bowl Gasket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

I'm wanting to install a new carburetor bowl gasket on an NH carburetor but found the store-bought paper gasket is too small. Is it an acceptable practice to soak - or even microwave - the gasket in water in hopes that it will stretch over the machined rim of the carb body without breaking? And do ya'll apply gasket sealer when installing a new bowl gasket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

some are the ones sold shrink with age, the ones we sell can sit for years and do not shrink, we cut them right here at the shop, they are grey in color, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

I guess you can try a hot water soak. It's un useable now so no loss. Don't know about the microwave bit though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

I make them from single ply Bristol board using a compass fitted with an Exacto blade. You cut the outer circle first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Just the gasket with no sealer works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 05:17 am:

You have two options...soak the gasket for a few minutes or buy a Quality one from Bob.

Either way, the gasket doesn’t see any pressure just a bit of fuel being splashed around
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Thanks for your input guys. I shall now try and button up this carb..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

Well ... three ways. You can cut one out yourself as described above and it will take you three minutes. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration