Water pump

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Water pump
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pablo Santos on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

I live in Florida and it gets really hot here, so Iíve been thing on putting a water pump on my 26 Tudor. My car is 98% original still so Iíve been looking for a good rebuildable pump for my car. I was wondering did ford ever put a water pump on the Model T? If so does anyone have a picture of one. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

they never had a water pump, if you decide you want one. the best one is a nims pump which is similar to a model a water pump I personally never have run water pumps on any of my cars. If you want a nims pump shoot me an email because I have one for sale svibert102@gmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

Pablo,

The first 850 or so Model Ts had water pumps. For some reason, Ford removed the water pump and built over 15,000,000 cars without one. You will find a variety of opinions on the Forum about water pumps, yay and nay.

My general opinion is with a decent, clean, radiator and clean water passages in the head and cylinder block, you won't need one unless you spend a lot of time idling or driving slowly in parades. The radiator needs airflow to cool the water. If you spend a lot of time driving slowly, there won't be enough airflow for cooling.

What is the experience of other Florida drivers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

Pablo

the first 2,500 or so Model T's had a water pump integral with the engine design. That was dropped for all future Ts.

Is your car actually overheating?

Normal operation in FL should not require a waterpump (yes I know it gets hot...I spent 59 years in FL).

If so, try to figure out why and fix that first. Spark timing wrong or fuel mixture wrong are two big reasons for overheating.

Welcome to the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

A water pump is often a Band-aid that's applied to an overheating T instead of fixing the problem, which many times is a defunct radiator.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG96.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

I have been using a Texas T water pump for years and am very happy with it. The pump has a stainless steel shaft and impeller with modern seals. It has not leaked in 10 Yrs. use.
My car runs cool and does not overheat since I added the water pump.
Most model T's run fine with out a water pump....mine was not the norm. A water pump may be considered a "Band-Aid" fix....however, if it works and you can enjoy the car....why not try it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Water pump is required.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

Pablo, on one of my T's I have an oddball pump and I just used duckduckgo.com (I have no affiliation) to search for "water pump, mtfca" and then clicked images. Google should be about the same.
Here's the brand I use. I didn't even have an inlet elbow for the side of the block at the time, but I had that old pump.
I truly do not know if the fact of that engine being plum wore out or if the pump has helped. It don't move much water.
NEVER had an overheat issue. But I do have a different fan in that old bugger that moves air.
I've run that thing with both levers up during parades in the summer up here in MN and never boiled it over.

pump

My 19 engine in the Crappy 24.
I did put some packing in it 20 years ago and it leaks no water all thru the summer...
I also agree with Les. A Texas T Parts pump would serve you well if you wish. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 12:17 am:

I live in the desert of So. Cal. Where it gets well over 100 degrees, up to 115 , my 26 Roadster had a water pump on it when I got it and I toke it off because it was leaking. My car never gets hot or boiled over in the hottest day. I would recommend not getting one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 07:22 am:

I'm of the opinion that if you think you need a water pump, what you probably REALLY need is a radiator. Thermosyphon cooling is such a cool (Yes, pun intended) phenomenon, I could NEVER do anything to spoil that. Water circulating on it's own with no motive force other than its density differential? Hard to top that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Pablo, Radiators have a life span and get inefficient over time even if they are clean on the inside. From all the heating and cooling cycles, expansion and contraction, the fins separate from the tubes and micro cracks are formed where heat no longer transfers well and the radiator cools less.
You might also need to flush out the engine as a measure also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 09:31 am:

Why not just pull to the side of the road and let it rest as many did when the T was new? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Something is causing your T to overheat if that's what it's doing. If your car is pretty much original as you say it probably has the original radiator or one that was installed years ago.
How long has it been since the head was removed is another question.
The water jackets and passages get encrusted and restrict waster flow which causes overheating besides a worn out radiator not cooling.
Adding a water pump is a band aid to say the least if the Radiator , block and head is restricted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Pablo; I live in Jacksonville. I have driven in parades, arguably the most demanding thing for a "T" in summer,never overheated which is more than I can say for the "Late Model" cars with water pumps!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 10:25 am:

I never tire of this subject...

We're about due for the motor oil question too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Pablo, we live in New Orleans and it gets hot here.
We also have a 1953 ch3vy that was born at the factory with a water pump. After replacing the radiator due to holes, flushing out the engine, adjusting all the fuel mixture timing settings it can still get hot...while idling in heavy traffic. The problem was airflow and the only fix was to increase airflow. So, we added an electric fan. A water pump cannot fix an air flow problem. If you have a water flow problem, then that should be corrected at the radiator and engine first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pablo Santos on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 10:45 am:

Thanks for all the replies everyone. My car doesnít overheat I just replaced the hoses and cleaned all the junk out of the block and radiator a couple days ago. Once I got all the crap out a little pin sized hole appeared on the lower water neck which Iím getting fixed. I was just thinking of adding a pump for preventative measures, but after reading all the comments Iím going to leave it as Henry built it. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Bless you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Pablo

of your options, I think you're taking the wise one...and thanks for getting back to the forum with the results.

again...welcome to the hobby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

Like it's been stated: It might help with a slightly dicey radiator but If you're not there.....don't go there..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Once everything on my 1914 model T was new and clean.Once driven through the mud and sand i'm sure it overheated when overworked!! The Model T was never perfect even when new!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

I am going to Steve and Halís church on this subject.
After spending years cleaning the radiator and installing a water pump to fix and overheating problem I finally spent my lunch money on a new radiator.

It should arrive any day now.

I hope Hal and Steve forgive me for my sins and give me their blessing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Wow Fred. Either you eat way better than I do or you have been saving your lunch $ for a loooong time to afford a new radiator. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 07:38 am:

It's never too late to turn, Fred. Glad you saw the light.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 10:00 am:

Fred you will be eternally grateful when your new radiator arrives!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 10:30 am:

I work in Massachusetts - AKA Taxachusetts.

After adding sales tax, local tax, and a tip the cost of a PB&J comes close to a new T radiator.

You can get a whole car for what a pulled pork sandwich with extra barbeque sauce costs!

I am looking forward to a everlasting happy life!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 11:39 am:

Our '26 Touring came with a period accessory water pump on it. It never leaked, but I replaced the packing in it last year when I replaced the radiator. I thought about just doing away with it, but it was on the car when Dad bought it along with a period Bosch distributor so decided to keep it as long as its working.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration