Tow Hitch For Model T Compared to Model A

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tow Hitch For Model T Compared to Model A
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G Alexander Chompff on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Hi everyone.

I found this old 2010 post regarding Model T tow hitches.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/167267.html

I have a question regarding the tow hitch that is shown by Royce Peterson (2nd post in the thread). I also show the same T hitch photo below.

I have a similar but longer hitch mounted on my 1930 Ford pickup. The T hitch and the A hitch appear to be made by the same manufacturer.

Royce states that the T hitch is an "original accessory". Could one of you T experts please give me some additional information about these hitches...
When were they available?
Did Ford Dealers offer and install them?
Who made the hitches?
Any other information?

Many thanks!
Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

Would guess many are just homemade. Unless you can find mfg. markings, then its commercial. Likely Ford dealers or auto supply companies made available mfg. made hitch devices. But lots were local blacksmith.

Most are plain pin type, but ball and socket versions were commercially available too for the Ford.

Ball and socket for Ford

Make your own

Below are obvious commercially mfg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Wow, it seems like only a few months when the post was first put up. 7 years!! ooohhh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G Alexander Chompff on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

Thanks for the info Dan.

I can account for three sightings of the exact same hitch that I show in the photos of the Model A in post #1. This leads me to believe that the hitch is probably a commercial unit.

I'm hoping to find more info specifically about that hitch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

Does anyone know what the distance between the rear spring and hitch ball is on those horseshoe-shaped assemblies?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

I have some beyond hope TT radius rods,been wondering what they would be good for.Hum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stahl on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

thanks! I found one of these hitches in my Dad's garage and assumed it was for a horse drawn wagon or something. NOW I KNOW!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stahl on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

found this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Voller (Aitkin MN) on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

I went out and measured mine and it was 12" from the hitch hole to the closest bolt hole. Mine has a extra set of holes for a wider spring shackle, a fit all hitch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G Alexander Chompff on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 02:43 am:

Thanks for your help everyone! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration