OT - More on the Ford Model K Roadster at auction in January.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - More on the Ford Model K Roadster at auction in January.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Ron McWillie posted this RM auction link listing 1907 Ford Model K Roadster:

https://www.rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/AZ18/Arizona/lots/r136-1907-ford-model-k-roadster/545284

Some information about the car:

It appears this Model K was first owned by Dr. J. R. Raby of Gatesville, TX, according to this 1970 article in the Gatesville newspaper:

My guess is, with engine number 952, this Roadster may have been sold in late Fiscal Year 1908 or 1909. Our Roadster is a low 800's number, and was purchased in late FY 1907.

In October, 1908, Dr. Raby and his wife were reported passing through Clifton, TX, in their automobile:

According to the 1970 article, Dr. Raby sold the roadster to John T. Dyson sometime before it was purchased by the late Karl Binner.

While I don't know when the car changed hands to Mr. Dyson, Dr. Raby was involved in an unfortunate accident when the car he was driving spooked a horse, causing the death of the carriage owner in 1911.

Interestingly, Dyson, the second owner, and Dr. Raby were both born in 1868, five years after Henry Ford:

I hope this Model K goes to someone who will put it on the road. Maybe someone on this forum will eventually own it. If so, we may have four Model K out and about in the future....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

WOW, I'm impressed, you put all that info together in short order! It's the history that really make the older cars fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Great Post! According to the article from 1970, this Ford did not need lubrication on the shackles as they were made of "Canadian" steel. I learn something new every day. Hah!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Wonderful stuff! It is always so nice to be able to put a full history to a specific car.
Thank you Rob!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:28 am:

Rob,
I agree, someone from this forum should buy it and put it back on the road. I think I've got a shot at it. I'm only a couple hundred grand short of running it in the 2018 New London to New Brighton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 08:16 am:

Eric:

Maybe Santa Claus will deposit a couple hundred grand in your stocking for Christmas....which would be in time for the auction in January.

I hope it happens as you'd look great participating in next year's NLNB run in a Model K Ford!

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Iíll send Santa an email with my request. This would be a good year for it. My vacation for that whole week is already approved, because Iím planning to participate in a couple of the Early Ford Registryís tours the weekend before the NLNB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 11:09 am:

And, Eric, there might be four Model K on the tour if Santa come through.......

Came across another photo of the K when Karl Binner owned it, taken in 1963 at a Horseless Carriage show. It had the demountable 26 inch wheels by that time:

Another forum member contacted me and had researched the Raby family. It turns out our "Dr. Raby" is J. R., while his brother, Robert Lee Raby, was also a practicing doctor in Gatesville was the one born in 1868. J. R., the original Model K owner, was born in 1856:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration