Cam bearing: I need a quick answer please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Cam bearing: I need a quick answer please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 12:28 am:

I'm off work tomorrow and am going to a friend's house to work on the cam bearings for the engine of a 24 touring car I'm working on for another friend. My question is, what is the length for an early style front camshaft bearing? A quick answer would be very much appreciated as I'm working on them tomorrow.

Thanks,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 12:40 am:

1.967"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 01:12 am:

It depends upon the camshaft you are using, not the year of the car, or even the block. I don't recall what year the change was made, but it was right around 1924.
The longer front lobe, requires the shorter front bearing. The shorter front lobe requires the longer front bearing. IF I recall correctly, you cannot put the longer front bearing on a camshaft with the longer front lobe, because it wont fit. But you can put the shorter front bearing onto the camshaft with the shorter front lobe. It kinda works, but allows the camshaft to "float" forward and backward and may cause a knocking noise or can even create other problems with the timer or roller. It can also result in grinding cast iron off the front cover by the cam gear.
I don't have the parts handy to measure. But basically, the cam bearing test fit onto the camshaft needs to not be able to move forward and backward very much.
As I said, I don't have the pieces close by to measure, but the difference between the short and long front bearing is only about a quarter inch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 02:51 am:

Wayne,
Good info but Stephen does stipulate early cam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 03:02 am:

Frank v E, You are correct! I missed that comment. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:21 am:

Stephen, about the only other thing to check is the fit of the bearing in the tunnel in the block. It needs to be a neat slide in fit. A bearing loose in the block will cause a knock which is hard to trace if you are not aware of the problem.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 08:16 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzaeB1t9U5o&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8WQm4tGmKK1nA0Yct p6G&index=11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIBvuXoAzZw&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8WQm4tGmKK1nA0Yct p6G&index=12

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Thanks a lot guys! I got the bearings done today within a half hour

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Flat-rate time. Proper!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration