Old Photo - Toronto Brake Service Street Scene

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Toronto Brake Service Street Scene
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Thats a good one Jay. BRAKES! HA! I call the wish brakes on my T.
Thanks for the great photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Was that once a church?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 11:40 am:

If you plan on stopping fast with a T Tim a few prayers wont hurt! Looks like a church with those windows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

The station is using a couple of very double visible pumps. Those were used mostly in Canada. Today a restored double pump usually sells for $20,000 plus. I can't tell what the brand of gasoline is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

The shop portion looks like an old Catholic Church converted to a garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

On week days they serviced cars and on Sundays they serviced souls! But be careful I heard the communion wine was transmission fluid!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

Speaking of Raybestos this may be of interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 09:54 am:

My son-in-law and daughter live in downtown Chicago in an 1880's Baptist church converted to 6 condominiums. One of the nice features is a garage in what would be the lower floor or basement that affords every living unit 2 sheltered off street parking spaces. The entrance is pretty much grade level. It certainly isn't below ground.

If someone were so inclined it would be easy to convert this garage space to a repair business. I have no idea what this "basement" area was originally intended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:02 am:

There were or still are rules about selling and using a Catholic brick or stone church for other uses or selling to other religions, they are permanent consecrated structures. Wood Catholic churches did not fall under the same rules as they were not considered permanent.
More likely the brake shop is built against or just behind the church rather then in, if it is a Catholic church.
If it was built into the back of the church more then likely it was one of the other major denominations that did not have the same rules.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

That's Father Raybestos standing in the doorway. He realized that so many Sunday morning congregants were praying for better brakes on their T's that he opened a side business on weekdays.

A fine shepherd of the souls and auto mechanic all wrapped up in one man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

I suppose brake shoes would have souls too.
"I felt sorry for my bad brakes until I met a man who had no brakes at all".
Thanks Dick for pointing out Father Raybestos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

A divine light shines down upon the book keeper's desk.
What did Father Ray die of?

I have an old brake riveting machine that has a foot pedal/riveter (on one side) and a motor driven sanding drum for perfecting the arc of the completed shoes after the linings were riveted on (on the other side).
I don't know IF I want to re-wire and start that motor driven sanding drum... Cough cough.

In the wood-working department, I could use a drum sander... Cough cough

Great photo Jay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

Why does the father look like he's wearing a helmet or an iron mask

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

From this source:

https://lostanglicanchurches.wordpress.com/category/church-of-the-ascension-rich mond-university/

"The church building itself remained for sale for several years; it seems that Mr. Gibson was never satisfied with any offers made to purchase it. In 1929, the building was rented to the Toronto Brake Service and converted into a shop for vehicle repairs."

.... and here:

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=71437

Better resolution photo here:

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/systems/toronto.arch/resource/fo1257 /ser1057/f1257_s1057_it0552.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

The location is 137 Richmond Street West in Toronto. The licence plate fits the format of only a single year, 1937. Everything in the photo is long gone, replaced by modern buildings.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration