Safety glass identification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Safety glass identification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

Hi guys : Is there any easy way (besides breaking it) to find out if my car has safety or tempered glass or the old plate glass?? I didn't restore the car, and the glass looks fine but now has me somewhat concerned. Thanks : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

Yes. Hold a small light or lit candle near the glass, if you see two reflections, it is laminated or safety glass. If you only see one reflection, it is plate glass.

Another way is to look at the edge of the glass itself, laminated or safety glass will have two panes of glass with a thin layer of plastic in the middle. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Regarding tempered glass, I don't know of a way to visually tell unless it has a manufacturer's marking on it somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

Look at edge, safety is like a sandwich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

I think the question is how to tell tempered glass from non-tempered glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

There will be two (or more) dimples along one edge of tempered glass. This is where they clamp it to put it into the kiln for tempering.

In your car, they put the dimples down near the bottom frame so they are less or not visible.

Remember
2 dimples = Tempered
2 reflections = Safety/Laminated

Good Luck,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Not an 'answer', per se, but just came across this about repairing scratches in glass...
http://www.powernationtv.com/two-minute-tech/2min-27/resurface-scratched-auto-gl ass

Meanwhile....
Take Care; Behave; "Don't Shoot!" (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

There is a unique sound to tempered, plate and safety glass. A glass person that cut the safety glass in our '24 tudor showed me in the shop what each sounds like so I can't replicate it in writing. He was surprised that the top front window had tempered glass while the lower had plate glass. I have safety glass all the way around now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Another easier method to determine Tempered glass is to look at / thru it on a sunny day, wearing good quality "polarised" sunglasses. If it is tempered, you should see a streaky or mottled pattern in the glass. Also rotating the glass (or your head) as you look thru it, the pattern will alter (intensify & diminish) but they have to be "Polaroid" glasses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Ivan has it right, easy to tell. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Do not rely on the flame method. I have seen three flames doing this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 03:00 am:

Three reflected flames can result from the two sides plus middle layer.

Ivan describes the easiest way to determine if the glass is tempered. One can often see this effect looking through the back window of your car, at an angle, wearing polarized sunglasses. The look-for-the-dimple method is good too.

As Richard says, there is a distinctive sound to laminated glass -- take a quarter, hold it loosely and rap it against the glass... laminated glass will sound dull, solid plate or tempered will sound sharp.

Try it on your modern car first so you know the different sounds. The front windshield will be laminated, the side windows are tempered plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 06:05 am:

If you are concerned about whether you windshield is tempered or not, just tap it with one of those pointed tools that are made to break them. If it shatters, you didn't want it on there anyway. :-) JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Not all tempered glass will have the dimples. Some tempering ovens don't use that method. The trick with polarized glasses is probably best. That pattern comes from the way the glass is cooled in the tempering process.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration