Help from the dear departed: Thanks, Charles!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help from the dear departed: Thanks, Charles!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

When I ordered a spring tie bolt from one of the parts dealers it turned out to be one of these modern things with threads all the way to the head. Of course the local stores were useless for finding anything close to the original bolt. Even the so-called hardware store has no square-head bolts at all.

My uncle, Charles Miller, who died in 1960, came to the rescue by leaving behind a large wooden box of old time hardware.

This isn't an exact match for the original, but I'm declaring it close enough. Old hardware is one of the reasons I go to farm auctions and estate sales.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

Bob Bergstadt makes the correct square, extra thick head bolts for the front and rear springs. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

I thought so too, but these don't look like tall heads.

http://bobsantiqueautoparts.com/?s=3811&lang=en

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

It is important to get a very strong bolt for that application. I think you should go with Bob. You can use your uncle's bolts for other areas which need less strength.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

If they're like the photos, my old one may be just as good. It appears to me that this bolt is primarily for leaf alignment during assembly, and that it's the clips (much stouter) which take the stress of holding the leaves together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

The photos on Bob's website are old. Here is a picture of his current offerings:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MODEL-T-FORD-ORIGINAL-STYLE-FRONT-AND-REAR-SPRING-TIE-B OLTS-WITH-THICK-HEAD/192390128545?hash=item2ccb5863a1:g:BGsAAOSwV0RXs2Vw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

Great story Steve...made me think of my Grandfather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Now, that's more like it. Bob needs those photos on his website.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration