Rod Bearing Qestion?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rod Bearing Qestion?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Would you use this rod? This car will be driven a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

Pat
I assume the hole pictured goes through and will allow oil through?
Based on what I can see, sure I would

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

What begs the question, is that the ONLY hole, or is the rest of that bearing pour like swiss cheese under that lovely polished finish ? If you're sure that's the only flaw, likely there's no big problem. Any clues as to the cause of that flaw ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

It's new babbit. Had to be the pouring process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

No.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Your bearing was a bad pour. If you find one that was cut into there is a good chance there are more. I would not put it in any engine I build.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

If it was new, I would not use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 01:34 am:

The flange is ready to break off now!

The rod in junk, get your money back!

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

How'd they finish the bore, also a concern. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 04:14 am:

This is what I find in an rebuild engine , a lot of hole's , much more as Pat Kelly's rod .
592M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

The hole in the top picture is from a bad pour.

Either dirt, or air bubble.

It would be hard to make a oblong hole like that with a round drill bit.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

I may be mistaken but I think the two holes in the picture of Toon’s were drilled deliberately to provide oil to the top of the bearing. When this is done by Antique Engine Service, there is only one hole in the bearing going to a hole either side of the rod.
It is my understanding that the hole in the picture by Pat was caused by an air void.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

That is a blow hole from a bad pour and I am not anywhere near an expert. The side looks bad and I don't speak the "language" but would call it a thrust surface (?) and it looks 80% missing.

It looks like a really bad bearing pour and not complete material. It also looks like it was finished with a wheel cylinder hone. I would not put it in a junk motor.

Listen to the experts and not me and good luck!

Tim Moore

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration