Old Photo - Model T Era - Central Oil And Gas Station

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era - Central Oil And Gas Station
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Thanks Jay. Billboard is up side down or down side up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

Dallas,

That's what they did when the advertising lease ran out. They would turn it up side down or out of order. That way, there would be no advertising for free. They still do that with panel type bill boards if they can not get or are allowed to take the entire surface down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Thats why I like this forum. Learn something new every day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

I am not sure what the front car is, but the rear one looks like a model 20 Hupmobile touring. I tried to buy one of those about thirty years ago. The guy that wanted to sell it kept postponing my looking at it. I eventually moved on to something better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 03:34 am:

Hi Wayne,

You are correct, the car on the right IS a Hupmobile Model D, derived from the Model 20 runabout. I was looking at one three years ago and while I was quizzing the seller and receiving his emailed answers someone else made their decision quickly and bought the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Here's the pic spun around to read the expired billboard:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 09:39 am:

It went from an American gas station to one down under so now you need to remove the American flag from the roof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 10:58 am:

This place sells FILTERED gas. I hate having to strain my own all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

And the air is free! You know there is a station near me that has an air pump that takes credit cards! I mean come on, you cant provide air for free for your customers?? Pathetic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

Bill H, That looks like a nice car! Too bad it didn't work out, but, one can't have them all. I wonder how many of those little touring cars are around? I think I have seen pictures of about five of them. I suspect that they are slow, even by antique car standards. But they have a reputation for being reliable. The one Hupp sent around the world in 1911 somewhat proved they were pretty good.
The one I was looking at had been "completely restored" to a high level of quality. It was just done totally wrong. Nice paint job, wrong color (I would have had to repaint the whole car). And they couldn't keep the car running for more than a mile or two (compete tear-down needed). The fellow was so disgusted with the results of his "restoration" that he wanted rid of it for cheap. I figured it was a good base for a quick rework and repaint and it could have been a nice car. I saw pictures of it, talked with him several times, but he had some family issues and the time was never right for me to go look at it. It was one of the rare times in my life that I was seriously looking to buy something, and there were other cars available, so I got something else. I heard later that he did eventually sell it, and haven't seen or heard of the car since.
How are you coming along with your project cars? (The Metz?)

That billboard is interesting. I have seen numerous billboards with a picture of a painter (sometimes a ladder) used to make you look and notice the ad. And I know that signboard companies put such things up after the renter/client agreement ended. I didn't realize the idea went back that far!
Great photo! Thanks all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

frist car 12 or 13 overland mod 59 or 69.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Viki Jo on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

It is amazing photo! Thank you very much. I work with old photo restoration in damagedphotorestoration.com so I am interesting in photo like this) And very interesting information about bill boards.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration