Best Oil for the Model T is .........

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Best Oil for the Model T is .........
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 07:53 am:

Carry over from a previous posts...

" By Bob Jablonski on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Wow, I'm reading a lot of "cheap" guys using "cheap" oil....

One of our past presidents of the MTFCA, Fred Houston, did his study of engine oil and published findings in the Forum magazine years ago.

He concluded that the Model T engine lubrication system is similar to a 4 stroke motorcycle engine in as much the same oil lubricates the transmission and engine.

He ruled out oil formulations with friction modifiers and such since he found problems with transmission lubrication with them.

Basically, oil formulations today come in various viscosities and API ratings.

He suggested 10W30 or 10W40 weight oil with a API rating of SF.

Most posters I have read here will know of oil viscosity but know NOTHING of the API classifications and useage. If anyone reading this has questions, Google, don't reply to me.

Oh, by the way, Fred Houston recommended a multi-viscosity oil of 10W30 or 10W40 and API rating no higher than SF........ specifically any 4 stroke Motorcycle Oil, dino or synthetic.

I've been using 10W40 SF rated Mobil One Motorcycle Oil since engine rebuild in 2001.

That's what this "cheap" guy uses for oil...... and it's still "cheaper" than a engine rebuild... or a RADIATOR....lol ...CHUCKLE.

Bob J.

Friday, December 08, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

Maybe it's time for our Forum Magazine editor to re-publish Fred Houston's oil findings....

By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

Good point Bob!! One of engine oil's jobs is cooling!! Now if the trolls and anals don't skin you! LOL Bud.:

Found Fred's article that was published in the Vintage Ford magazine, asking for member's help in posting here...

Vintage Ford 1997, Vol. 2 (March-April) Page 29.
( 32-2-19 ) from CD search.

Cannot locate my copy, your assistance to a link is greatly appreciated.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 09:20 am:

SF has not been available for quite a few years. Motor oil is one of the most engineered fluids in existence, or so I am told. Modern oils would all be something like SM rated or have a special designation like Dexos for newer GM engines. They all have a more highly developed additive package to meet the needs of modern auto's and trucks. This doesn't apply to non detergent varieties which really are not a good choice for any gasoline or diesel engine.

Except for non detergent oils, almost any modern engine oil would be far superior to the oils model T's were lubricated with 100 years ago.

My personal preference is Rotella T6. It is a 5w-40 synthetic suitable for large diesels and most gas engines that don't specify a "special" rating. The 5w should give good flow under lower temps and the 40 weight would provide good film strength at high temperatures.

Sorry to add to the debate, but I couldn't resist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 09:29 am:

Lew:

Most if not all motorcycle oil for 4 stoke engines has the API-SF rating.

You missed the point.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Ratings might change with the changing technologies and demands. Take 2 cycle oil for instance. Did you know it's rated? and that the rating (at least at one time) was not mandatory? Originally ran from A to F. F being the best lubing/cleanest burning of all. As of a few years ago A & B were no longer made as they didn't meet the minimum requirements. Look on the back of the bottles this oil comes in. If it's rated it'll have a letter in an oval shape (cartouche). It's been a few years but Red Max was always the best. Echo at the time wasn't rated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:04 am:

Each API rating has specific properties. SF will stay at a specific formulation.

Our VW Passat requires API-SN 5W40 oil. Using anything else will void warranty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Warranty on T is long past, as Fred states in his article.... "just looking for the best protection for the engine and transmission".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:25 am:

I use 5W30 because with other weights, my car tends to creep on start and in neutral. -5W30 seems to provide just the right amount of slippage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Oil is cheap, engines are expensive!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Bob,

I'm also a motorcycle guy and came to the same conclusion. I've been using non-synthetic motorcycle oil in 10W40 since getting my T engine and transmission rebuilt (it was a non runner when I got her). Service from this oil had been good and it doesn't break the bank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

John: Thank you..

Our youngest son is also a motorcycle guy....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

Found Fred's article that was published in the Vintage Ford magazine, asking for member's help in posting here...

Vintage Ford 1997, Vol. 2 (March-April) Page 29.
( 32-2-29 ) from CD search.

Cannot locate my copy, your assistance to a link is greatly appreciated.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

Bob
Hope this helps
https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/0e1cda73-db8d-4e4a-be84-c235c0d84b36

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

Thanks Kirk,,,, please check 33-4-40 ( 1998, Vol 4 , page 40 ) ... may be other of Fred's articles where he mentions motorcycle oil.

Thanks
Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

(Message edited by kirkiep on December 09, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

I realize that this is probably just cynical exaggeration from an old guy, but it seems to me that every time I finally begin to understand and remember the latest API motor oil ratings, the whole system changes AGAIN!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

I found mt copy 1998, Vol 4,,,, Phoned Fred May of 2001 to talk over rebuilding transmission for the '26 Runabout.
Made notation from conversation that Fred mentioned he would recommend motorcycle oil, API-SF & 10W40.

Memory fuzzy, notation real.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Mobil One motorcycle oil is rated API-SH 10W40 .
I stand corrected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

Bob
I couldn't remember how I created the first link, That is why I edited second post. Below is entire 3304 Vintage Ford magazine.

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/eb7df6d2-70f6-479c-845c-cff0e57d4512

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 07:28 am:

Kirk: Thanks for your trouble. A shot in the dark by me, Fred only did about 6 or 7 VF articles under the name of " Fred's Place", from about Mid 1996 to the end of 1997. Appreciate your help.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration