1926 Tudor Front Seat Upholstery?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1926 Tudor Front Seat Upholstery?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 08:59 am:

Our recently acquired 26 Tudor needs the front seats redone. I bought the Tudor has an inclement weather car. The engine was rebuilt some 30 years ago along with the transmission, the car has been dormant for most of those 30 years especially the last 20 years. along with the needs of rear axle inspection and repair, the front end needs king pins and bushings, rear shackles, tires, safety glass etc. I am not going to restore the body or interior but want to be able to have someone sit in the front seats without getting probed by a metallic object. I am thinking of a brown wool fabric offered by Macs that can be bought by the yard. I am wondering if anyone here had done their seats and has an idea how much material would be involved. I have yet to speak to an upholster about this. Not restoring this one, just want period look

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 09:28 am:

I always buy the kits but I would guess you could get by with 5 yards or a little more. Depends on whether you sew in the pleats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Don't do it! Don't go to Mac's ! Call Mark at Classitique Antique Auto upholstery. He makes kits for all Model Ts and will sell only the easily installed front seats upholstery. Quality is excellent and I'll bet you'll save money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 11:29 am:

He is looking to buy just the fabric not the kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

I know what he is trying to do Mark. He also said "I have yet to speak to an upholsterer about this." I think George would even do better to go to a big city upholstery store and pick up 5 yards of brown wool...then find an upholsterer....than buy the 5 yards from Mac's. This assessment only stems from the plethora of bad experiences from Mac's as expressed by many others on this Forum. I merely suggested he skip the upholsterer and purchase 2 sets of already correctly pleated '26 front seats in the brown wool Mark offers. Even I installed an entire kit from Classtique in my '26 Tudor and it looks really nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

If you want an inexpensive route, you can cover them in black duck cloth. That is what I did as I could not afford the kit to make an authentic. Eventually, that will be my goal to replace the duck cloth. She had done upholstery many years ago as a professional and she and I traded piano lessons for her daughter for labor in the car. It cost me around $75 in materials, which included the foam and the duck cloth for all the seats. Most people don't even know that this was not the original seat cover color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

While the upholstery is off, you might want to re-enforce the seat structure. Mine failed recently. It failed where it had been brazed so it also failed in original design. I checked with a friend who had a spare seat frame, it it too was brazed in the same spot. On both sided the material was doubled and gussets were added. Once the upholstery was re-installed you couldn't see the repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

When I first got my '25 Fordor the seats were original and had lost all their integrity, touch them and they split...

I'm not sure upholstery kits were available then and even Bill Hirsch was probably only selling one cloth...but I needed to stabilize, something...a proper fit out would come later (It's 40 years now and still in the home brew fix...haha)

I had recently had a set of slip covers made for a chair, by a former upholsterer, and he simple draped material over inside out, took a pin here and a pin there, a nip here and a tuck there, and when he was satisfied it fit to his liking he slid it off, turned it right side out and slid it back on for a final look see...where he added a chalk mark here and there to remind himself of something. That slip cover came in finished, slid on nice and tight, and the chair looked like it was re-upholstered for another 25 or so years.

Hmmm...T needed stabilizing, didn't want to lose what was there just yet...I had 20 bucks a week of lunch/gas/smokes money and kids coming along...not an extra nickel...I went to JoAnn fabrics or something like that...bought a few yards of heavy cloth, and did the reverse pin job myself and played with the wife's sewing machine! For what it is worth...I managed to impress myself....:-)

Like Other George says...it's worth a try! And it is fun doing so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

How do people support the backrest padding on the passenger seats? I have one that we have been trying to figure how to stop the padding pushing through. There doesnt appear to have been any fastening a backing card onto the hoop of the backrest
Cheers
Glen McConachie
Dunedin
New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 10:52 am:

I used stainless steel wire to fasten the springs to the seat back frame. Also used the same for the back of the upper seat. Nothing showed after assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:13 am:

Here are picture from a post a few years ago I posted. These are of the back seat cushion frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:52 am:

Oops, wrong post....so sorry.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration